Cycling QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gefilte

Aquarium Advice Regular
I sure hope you meant it when you said there are no dumb questions.....I feel a little thickheaded here..

I started my 10 gal QT on 4/12 and added a raw uncooked unprocessed shrimp (whole thing) on 4/13. The ammonia went up to 3.0mg/l by the 17th and then up to 3.0-5.0 on the 19th. It is still at that level (3.0-5.0) today. Have I spiked yet? How long does it stay at the top of the spike before it starts going down? But, more importantly, do I take the shrimp out yet or do I wait until the ammonia goes down to 0.?

I know...you really thought there were no dumb questions....until this one...

Thanks

The ammoina has definately spiked but you should have seen some decrease by now (12 days?). Two possible causes would be the shrimp is far too large for the water volume or you do not have enough hard surface area's for the bacteria to colonize.

Might be an idea to remove ½ the shrimp. I would also post how you have the QT set up. The entire shrimp should not be removed until you have both a nitrite and nitrate reading.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve.

I have a 10 gallon tank with a PetStupid generic HOB filter with a floss bag with carbon in it. I've got a heater set at 80 and some pvc fittings for when I add fish. I had to use new water when I started it as opposed to water from my main tank as I had a a little episode in there and need to leave it fallow for a while. Ates are 20 ppm and ites are somewhere between 0 and .5.

Next?

gefilte said:
Remove half the shrimp and then once you see a large natural reduction in ammonia levels (½), you should be able to remove what's left of the shrimp. If you remove it before the nitrosomonas have formed abundantly, you will have future problems.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of too much nutrient for the tank volume.

Cheers
Steve

Well, I tried to take out 1/2 of the shrimp, but it was pretty much disintegrated so I got what I could. As of today, I still have 3.0 mg/l ammonia. Ates are 20 ppm and ites are at .3. Is this tank ever going to complete its cycle? The ammonia just doesn't seem to want to go down!! My main tank cycled faster than this!!

Is this taking too long or is it just me? Do I need to do anything else?

I'd really like to have a fish someday before I die....

gefilte said:
Is this taking too long or is it just me? Do I need to do anything else?

I'd really like to have a fish someday before I die....
LOL... it's probabley just to much DOC. If you are sure you have enough added surface area's for the bacteria (PVC pipe and the like) do a 15-20% water change to help ease down the ammonia. You already have the NO2 and NO3 so it should not interfere with the process, just speed it up a bit.

Cheers
Steve

OK. We're six weeks in and my NH3 isn't going down!! Its still 3.0 mg/L and the ites are at .8 I have done a 20% water change, the shrimp (or what was left of is) has been taken out as best I could weeks ago. Do I need to start this over again? Should I change the carbon in the filter? Take out the carbon? What do I need to do?

This isn't funny anymore. My main tank is now back up to speed after remaining fallow for about 8 weeks and the levels in there are fine. But, this QT won't get where I need to be to get fish. Arghhh!!!!!

gefilte said:
Do I need to start this over again? Should I change the carbon in the filter? Take out the carbon? What do I need to do?
No need to start again. Change the carbon for new and clean the filter pad in saltwater if there is one. Do a few more large water changes over a weeks time and you should see a differnce. It's most likely a build up of organics in the fitration media.

Cheers
Steve

Steve have you ever tried tossing a sponge in a sump then adding it to a QT tank.
I heard from a lfs that it is a quick way to jumpstart bacteria in a little QT

Yup it's a "quick start" method. Considering the time gefilte has had this QT cycling, I don't think there would be much of a boost. With newly established QT's needing to place fish in an emergency, it can be a great advantage. When something has been cycling this long it's either lack of available surfaces for bacteria or too much nutrient.

Cheers
Steve

OK. The ammonia's gone. But the ites and ates are too high. I did a 20% water change and still too high. Any ideas?

P.S. My display tank is PERFECT...probably because there are no fish in there to mess it up!!!

gefilte said:
OK. The ammonia's gone. But the ites and ates are too high. I did a 20% water change and still too high. Any ideas?
8O 2 months and it's still cycling... WOW. I would keep doing the water changes daily until the nitrites are gone and at the same time be sure you rinse any filter media in the removed SW.
Once the shrimp eroded away, did you add anything else or was that it? Hows the pH and is the tank well aerated?

P.S. My display tank is PERFECT...probably because there are no fish in there to mess it up!!!
Good to hear but be sure you are adding small amounts of food once or twice a week as an ammonia source to keep the bacteria fed.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve.

I changed the filter media yesterday when I did the water change. I have added nothing else. The pH is between 8.0 and 8.3. As for aeration, I have the HOB filter moving water around, but I don't have any sort of air pump or stone in there. Do I need to do anything else to areate more? I'll keep doing water changes until it gets in line.

As for the main tank, I still have some snails, three crabs (which I'm questioning my sanity on those now after all I have read) and an anemone. So, I've been feeding the anemone which is keeping things going in the main tank.

gefilte said:
I changed the filter media yesterday when I did the water change. I have added nothing else.
That could be part of the problem. The media should not be replaced unless with pre-seeded media. It becomes a rather large part of the biofiltration due to lack of surfaces within the tank. Next time if you need to change it, place the new one in the main tank for at least a week first. Many times simpley rinsing the old one in SW will be good enough.

The pH is between 8.0 and 8.3. As for aeration, I have the HOB filter moving water around, but I don't have any sort of air pump or stone in there. Do I need to do anything else to areate more?
You don't need an air pump or stone as long as the pH stays stable, you may be fine without a powerhead as well. Once there is a fish in the QT that may change though. I would be prepared to get a lower GPH model powerhead just in case.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom