Cycling QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just planning to start my QT up once again, 3rd time lucky!

I'm currently seeding the filter pads from my QT fitler in my main tank for 2 weeks, then I'm going to cycle my QT.

What's the best way to cycle it? I dont want to use a shrimp as the tank's in my bedroom.

I used biomature to cycle my main tank and that worked a treat...thinking of doing the same again.

Or, can I just add a bit of food each day to cycle it?

I just cycled a QT with a small amount of LR and I'm not that happy with the results. I did see a cycle (ammonia never got over .25, so it was pretty gentle) but now that I have added 2 fish to the tank (20 g) I'm having a mini-cycle. Not loving putting the fish through that, though I'm changing water every day. So I wouldn't do LR. :) (I wanted to avoid shrimp in the bedroom, too.)

But if you can seed from your main tank, do you even need to cycle? Am I all wet that that filter pads have all the bacteria you need?

You can put is some flake everyday or even a bit of frozen.
Really I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are using a seeded sponge and water from the main, you can go ahead and introduce you fish. The real battle with ammonia will be with water changes.

The only reason I'm going to cycle first this time, is because the last 2 times in my QT with just using seeded filter pads, I couldn't keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Even with loads of water changes.

I thought that if I give the tank more time to establish bacteria, by doing a cycle, that the ammonia and nitrites would stay more under control.

Ok, then maybe the frozen food would work. Shouldn't smell up the joint. :wink:
7 weeks ago I dumped my entire stock into a 40 gallon qt tank without a cycle, just the seeded sponge and water from the main. I had a huge battle with ammonia for a week and it then leveled off. I was changing a 12 gallons a day, this kept the fish healthy until a good cycle set up. While doing this I was dropping the spg to treat for ich (double trouble).
Thereafter I only neede to change 5 gallons a day and my ammonia has remained at 0. I lost no fish to ammonia.
I am convinced that many do not change enough, or change frequently enough in a qt setting. It was hard work, but my little wet friends are in better shape because of it. :)

Hehe, ok....so I should be using water from the main tank for the initial fill-up?

Some say yes, some say no...

Cool - I'll put a bit of food in each day, and not take it out. Can I do anything else to speed the cycle up?

No that should do it. I have 3 qt tanks going right now and believe me the key is water changes.

Well, I'm hoping that cycling it first will mean I'll not have to do as many waterchanges.

Back
Top Bottom