cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skratchiechan

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok I just got 12 pounds of LR and according to the lfs he says it's cured... I put it in the tank and waited a few hours and did my first water test (mind you I've had LS in there for a couple days already.

here are my results
ph 8.2
nh3-.25
no2- .25
no3- 5.0
sg -1.021
water temp at 79

since there is a hint of nh3 should I go ahead and add a couple uncooked shrimp in the tank to get that nh3 spike or just wait it out a couple days an re test? thanks!

sory for asking....is that nh3 = ammonia...???
u can just add a pinch of fish food or a raw shrimp into that tank for start the cycle...how did the the LR transported..??? fully submerged with saltwater...??? if so it might be cured LR....

u might want to add a pinch of fish food...its to cycle the tank...some ppl said maintain it at 1-4ppm for a week or 2.....if u dont want to add any of that, try to search for any other suppliment such BioZyme etc for starter...
if u still dont read any article on how to start cycling process, have some time to read it which might make u understand better why we need to do water cycle...

I'd wait it out. Re-test and post. Cured LR won't let the ammonia go up too high. I wouldn't add any supplement at all either.

As Ray said if the LR is really cured you wont see the ammonia go up too much if all. But you will need to feed the bacteria to keep it going. Maybe a pinch of flakes will do.

I too would add a pinch of flakes and see if that causes any increase in NH3. Also check the nitratrites for any rise.

How big is the tank? 12 pounds of LR is good for a small nano, but you really want 1 - 2 pounds of rack per gallon of tank capacity as your biological filtration.

If you are doing FO then the SG is ok, otherwise get it up to the 1.024 - 1.026 range.

so i went back to my lfs and returned the hydrometer and got the refractometer and wow!!! what a difference!! the hydrometer was off by .04

money well spent :)

yep already did that using RO water. so my SG reading is a lil over 1.026. should I just add a gallon in RO water? to lower it?

when I add water the temp should be the same as the tank? there's no livestock in there atm.

and I only have one heater :(

i think there will be no prob at all if no livestock....how much is the lil over of 1.026ppm..?

on the refractometer I can see that the 1.025 but it's the next two lines up if that makes any sense lol. how are the lines measured for each line? and do I need to heat up the water before adding It in?

owh....that might be 1.027 if our refractometer is the same....LOL
yes....what your tank status..??? cycling process without living creatures, am i right..??? if so, u might just add up some of water....

yup....dont have to heat it up since there is no live creatures yet....the reason to heat the water as DT temp is to avoid any living creatures become shock.....normally while do PWC u need to heat the new saltwater temp same like DT temp....btw, i still dont know your tank size....

it's 48x15x17 ie 60g... so when I get live stock, I need to get a heater and ph separately for my PCW? how many wattage for the heater and gph for ph?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom