I have successfully set up a 150 gallon with wet/dry (synthetic filter w/bioballs). Only RO
water used. 120 lbs base rock and about 15 lbs of live rock.
As prescribed, I introduced 2 uncooked shrimp in to the tank for about 6 days until they looked like they were about to explode. They smelled AWFUL when I removed them.
After removing the shrimp, I tested the Ammonia levels and was shocked to see my ammonia level was only 1.0. I couldn't believe this was so low so I took a water sample to my LFS
and they received the same result.
2 weeks later my Ammonia was at .5 and 0ppm Nitrite, 0ppm Nitrate
At the 4 week mark, my ammonia level is now at 0ppm, nitrite is at 0ppm and Nitrate is at 10ppm.
I have absolutely ZERO algae growth of any kind.
My pH is about 8.2 and water temp is about 78-80 degrees.
Was this even a cycle?? If so, do I have enough "good" bacteria to sustain a small bio-load of 3 or 4 fish or so?
I plan of completing a 50% water change to cut the nitrate's.
Ideas?? Did I do something wrong? Advice please!!
Thanks in advance!!!