Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peoplepc3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have successfully set up a 150 gallon with wet/dry (synthetic filter w/bioballs). Only RO/DI water used. 120 lbs base rock and about 15 lbs of live rock.

As prescribed, I introduced 2 uncooked shrimp in to the tank for about 6 days until they looked like they were about to explode. They smelled AWFUL when I removed them.

After removing the shrimp, I tested the Ammonia levels and was shocked to see my ammonia level was only 1.0. I couldn't believe this was so low so I took a water sample to my LFS and they received the same result.

2 weeks later my Ammonia was at .5 and 0ppm Nitrite, 0ppm Nitrate

At the 4 week mark, my ammonia level is now at 0ppm, nitrite is at 0ppm and Nitrate is at 10ppm.

I have absolutely ZERO algae growth of any kind.

My pH is about 8.2 and water temp is about 78-80 degrees.

Was this even a cycle?? If so, do I have enough "good" bacteria to sustain a small bio-load of 3 or 4 fish or so?

I plan of completing a 50% water change to cut the nitrate's.

Ideas?? Did I do something wrong? Advice please!!

Thanks in advance!!! :thanks:

In that size tank maybe the amount of shrimp want enought o get a good solid ammonia source. But you alos have the live rock too sonot entirely sure why you only got a small spike. Also, I think most people who use the shrimp method leave it to rot until it actually disengrates to almost nothing. I havent used the shrimp method, I've always dosed pure ammonia so I can totally control the ammonia going in. I went up to 4ppm so that the bacteria load would be better. You most likely have enough bacteria for some fish, but not sure how many...

Sorry i couldnt be of more help....

Back
Top Bottom