Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycling question

Just started a SW tank last week. I have crushed coral and LR in the tank. I was wondering when the cycling process would start. As of now the levels are still normal no changes noticed so far. Also When cycling a SW tank do you do PWC while cycling or only once the cycling process has completed?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_guy2002
Just started a SW tank last week. I have crushed coral and LR in the tank. I was wondering when the cycling process would start. As of now the levels are still normal no changes noticed so far. Also When cycling a SW tank do you do PWC while cycling or only once the cycling process has completed?
Sounds like you're on the right track. If there's no die-off from the LR you'll need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle, usually a piece of raw shrimp. It does take time so be patient. PWC's aren't needed until the cycle is complete.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would remove the crushed coral. you'll have to do constant maintenance on it for the life of your tank. you want something with much smaller grains, otherwise detritus (uneaten food and fish poop) will accumulate in the bed and cause you nitrate problems at least.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

The kind i got was real small crushed croal. I was going to go with live sand but wouldn't you end up sucking most of it up when you do your cleanup?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_guy2002
The kind i got was real small crushed croal. I was going to go with live sand but wouldn't you end up sucking most of it up when you do your cleanup?
I was hoping to scroll down and see an answer to that question. I just started my tank about two months ago with live sand, and yes I am sucking it up with the vacuum. I'll be following your thread to see if someone has an answer!! Good luck on your tank, sounds like your off to a good start!!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you should not be vacuuming your sand bed. leave it be. if you find uneaten food and fish poop are laying on it, you need to increase flow.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
you should not be vacuuming your sand bed. leave it be. if you find uneaten food and fish poop are laying on it, you need to increase flow.
Sorry to jack your thread Chevy_Guy!! But thank you Mr. X!! That makes a lot of sense. I've known I need better flow since the one power head I have doesn't do much. Now I know it's a necessity. Thank you!

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com