Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevy_guy2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just started a SW tank last week. I have crushed coral and LR in the tank. I was wondering when the cycling process would start. As of now the levels are still normal no changes noticed so far. Also When cycling a SW tank do you do PWC while cycling or only once the cycling process has completed?

chevy_guy2002 said:
Just started a SW tank last week. I have crushed coral and LR in the tank. I was wondering when the cycling process would start. As of now the levels are still normal no changes noticed so far. Also When cycling a SW tank do you do PWC while cycling or only once the cycling process has completed?

Sounds like you're on the right track. If there's no die-off from the LR you'll need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle, usually a piece of raw shrimp. It does take time so be patient. PWC's aren't needed until the cycle is complete.

i would remove the crushed coral. you'll have to do constant maintenance on it for the life of your tank. you want something with much smaller grains, otherwise detritus (uneaten food and fish poop) will accumulate in the bed and cause you nitrate problems at least.

The kind i got was real small crushed croal. I was going to go with live sand but wouldn't you end up sucking most of it up when you do your cleanup?

chevy_guy2002 said:
The kind i got was real small crushed croal. I was going to go with live sand but wouldn't you end up sucking most of it up when you do your cleanup?

I was hoping to scroll down and see an answer to that question. I just started my tank about two months ago with live sand, and yes I am sucking it up with the vacuum. I'll be following your thread to see if someone has an answer!! Good luck on your tank, sounds like your off to a good start!!

you should not be vacuuming your sand bed. leave it be. if you find uneaten food and fish poop are laying on it, you need to increase flow.

mr_X said:
you should not be vacuuming your sand bed. leave it be. if you find uneaten food and fish poop are laying on it, you need to increase flow.

Sorry to jack your thread Chevy_Guy!! But thank you Mr. X!! That makes a lot of sense. I've known I need better flow since the one power head I have doesn't do much. Now I know it's a necessity. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom