Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so currently I am cycling my fist saltwater tank which is a 14 biocube and my question is should I add my chempure and purigen right now or wait until its finished cycling. It been one week since I started and I already have nitrites @ 5 ppm, I also dosed to 4 ppm of ammonia the first day was that too much or am I good.

The two products may be needed down the line to keep trates and phophates in check and provide water quality and clarity. It may or may not be needed. It all depends on the tank you want to have, bioload, tank husbandry etc.

And yes, you can dose with pure ammonia for salt same as fresh.

AquaRick said:
The two products may be needed down the line to keep trates and phophates in check and provide water quality and clarity. It may or may not be needed. It all depends on the tank you want to have, bioload, tank husbandry etc.

And yes, you can dose with pure ammonia for salt same as fresh.

Thank you aquarick

I have one more question is it possible to cycle a tank in 2 weeks I have about 10 lbs base rock and 5 lbs live Rock because I just did my test with API liquid test and test results follow
Ph 8.2
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate off the charts

2 weeks seems pretty short. Dose back up to 4ppm with ammonia. If there is no ammonia or nitrites after 24 hours, you should be good to go. Just do one huge water change after you're done cycling to bring your trates down.

AquaRick said:
2 weeks seems pretty short. Dose back up to 4ppm with ammonia. If there is no ammonia or nitrites after 24 hours, you should be good to go. Just do one huge water change after you're done cycling to bring your trates down.

How big of a water change would you recommend

80%+...whatever you need to do to get your trates down to acceptable levels. 10ppm maybe? Depends on what type tank you're going with. Fowlr, reef?

AquaRick said:
80%+...whatever you need to do to get your trates down to acceptable levels. 10ppm maybe? Depends on what type tank you're going with. Fowlr, reef?

For now fowlr but don't the road I plan a reef

Get it down to less than 20ppm or so. You've got a small tank so not too hard doing those large water changes ;)

I personally would not add any buffers or chemicals to the tank. It's on 14 gallon shouldn't be necessary the cycling process on 10 lbs usually is 3 weeks or more hope this helps

Ok will dose and cross fingers hopefully everything turns out good and If it does do a large pwc and then off to get my cuc

Okay so I dosed on the 10th and went a little overboard on the ammo do I decided just wait it out. 12 hours later tested my water and results were .25 ammo, 2 nitrite, and trates off the wall.so I decided to give it the full 24 hours, and test again and results go
Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates off the wall

Could this mean my tank is fully cycled?
I also have a bunch of algae and diatoms everywhere

spoonman said:
Looks like it is cycled! Big water change like suggested and get something moving in there!

Since my BB can consume 4ppm of ammo would I be able to fully stock my tank or would I have to take it slow I plan on 1 watchman goby and 1 fire fish and 1 clown

Lunchbox209 said:
Since my BB can consume 4ppm of ammo would I be able to fully stock my tank or would I have to take it slow I plan on 1 watchman goby and 1 fire fish and 1 clown

Take it slow. Few weeks in between additions is good rule of thumb.

Back
Top Bottom