I am using an API Master Reef kit for testing dated November 2011. I have tested, retested and had someone else test for me and the numbers are the same but they used my test kit. I did a Nitrite test using a borrowed test kit and it read the same as my kit so I assume it's accurate.
I started with 100 lbs of base eco dry rock from BRS and 4 pieces of live rock from a local LFS
. From the live rock I got some stomatella snails, some small feather dusters, 2 small bristle worms (good ones according to my research), and some small white filter feeders that look like what is called sea squirts. There was one aiptasia, now deceased. I have some chaeto in the refugium. There hasnt been a lot of die-off from the live rock that I can tell but some hair algae is starting to grow on the pieces. I am also seeing some small clumps of algae starting to grow on the back and side walls and overflow.
Other than ammonia, the only thing I am dosing is Purple Up twice a week to feed the coraline algae. The pH and KH
had dropped a bit as well as calcium level but they were still within normal range. I did a 40% PWC
this past weekend to raise those levels back up and to get rid of some of the Nitrates.