Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Agreed about there should be nitrates after 3 weeks. I just don't think there is enough ammonia. Even if it isn't shaken properly, high nitrates will still provide a reading even if inaccurate, would say they are there and you should do a water change.
Seems odd to me 4 damsels should add more than enough ammonia idk

Old 10-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz
Even though I'm used to tests with my freshwater tank, I read the API instructions literally step by step. It said to shake both the test bottle and the tube for 30 and 60 seconds, then waited 5 minutes to get an accurate reading. I couldn't have followed guidelines any stricter being that it was my first time with this tank.
For your other question the number of fish depends on a few things first off total water volume, type of filtration, lol no tangs, if you went with smaller fish you could have a couple more than if you went with medium size fish damsels ime are usually aggresive theyll intimidate more docile fish like clowns but not always sometimes they do fine together so you have 4 damsels id say you could add a goby couple anthias and a clown pair and be ok obviously not all at once and that would be about max of bioload this would be provided proper and timely waterchanges skimmer and fugi would be good additions for water quality

Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Op said 5 ppm nitrites and 0 nitrates. That nitrite level should be lethal to the fish. any chance those numbers were reversed?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Op said 5 ppm nitrites and 0 nitrates. That nitrite level should be lethal to the fish. any chance those numbers were reversed?
That would make more since after 3 weeks
Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Seems odd to me 4 damsels should add more than enough ammonia idk
4 damsels should of been able to cycle the tank as I've done this before with a similar size however as mentioned above, you have nitrites present so you aren't finished cycling. Your nitrates will show up when you finish and sometimes you'll get readings from nitrites and nitrates. I agree with throwing in a shrimp in a mesh bag for additional bacteria. Even after you think you are finished cycling, I would wait two weeks just to make sure your water is stable.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you everyone. So do you think I should do a water change yet?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was always told not to change the water till you've finished cycling. Be aware if you use the shrimp take it from me, when you take the mesh bag out, hold your nose and do not breathe till you've put it in the trash , preferably outside.......
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

To be honest, I'm in no hurry for anything. I'd rather not rush it and do something that I can't reverse. I think I'm just going to let it cycle on it's own with the four damsels. Unless you guys think it's imperative that I put the shrimp in there.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgefr
I was always told not to change the water till you've finished cycling. Be aware if you use the shrimp take it from me, when you take the mesh bag out, hold your nose and do not breathe till you've put it in the trash , preferably outside.......
+1 on the shrimp! LOL! It's very smelly even when there doesn't seem to be anything left in the bag!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz
To be honest, I'm in no hurry for anything. I'd rather not rush it and do something that I can't reverse. I think I'm just going to let it cycle on it's own with the four damsels. Unless you guys think it's imperative that I put the shrimp in there.
It's not. Are you planning any live rock? I would recommend doing that next after the cycle if you are. Since your tank would be cycled, make sure it's cured if you do. Hmmm...take the damsels out prior to the live rock though because they are boogers to catch.

Tags
cycling, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com