Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

Hmmm...I'm by no means saying you are wrong however I've added live rock long after cycling and have never had any mini cycle or even a spike. Now, with that being said, it was cured and I did scrub it well before putting it in. I also didn't add 30lbs at once. It was more like 10 lbs at a time. Maybe it's because I had some in already with established bioload to handle it. If he is still in cycle, and his bioload is not much, from my experience with friends who added mid cycle, they had some die off if their cured live rock. What if he added base rock with a small amount of live rock? That way he can add surface area, seed the base with additional bacteria, and have minimal die off?
No worries. I meant don't add it after the tank is cycled. At least I wouldn't do it. You are gonna get die off and you "could" cause a mini cycle.

Yes if he added the base rock and live rock it would be better.

In short... IMO don't cycle the tank and then add all your live rock.

Also I would caution the fact that all the sand is in and the rock wasn't first.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

No worries. I meant don't add it after the tank is cycled. At least I wouldn't do it. You are gonna get die off and you "could" cause a mini cycle.

Also I would caution the fact that all the sand is in and the rock wasn't first.
Heres another tip since you dont have rock in yet what i did was place eggcrate on bottom it helps hold baserock from sliding and if piece did fall wont damage glass

Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Heres another tip since you dont have rock in yet what i did was place eggcrate on bottom it helps hold baserock from sliding and if piece did fall wont damage glass
Good tip! ^^^^

To the OP, this is worth it IMO.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 55 gallon with

1 Blue Regal Tang
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Three Stripe Convict Damsel
1 Blue Devil Fiji Damsel
2 Scott Damsels
1 Engineer Goby
1 Clown Fish
Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz
I have a 55 gallon with

1 Blue Regal Tang
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Blue Devil Fiji Damsel
2 Scott Damsels
1 Engineer Goby
1 Clown Fish
Oh and a Green Chromi
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz
I have a 55 gallon with

1 Blue Regal Tang
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
1 Blue Devil Fiji Damsel
2 Scott Damsels
1 Engineer Goby
1 Clown Fish
I'm assuming you started with the damsels, if that's the case, did you do anything special to acclimate the next set of fish after the cycling?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz

I'm assuming you started with the damsels, if that's the case, did you do anything special to acclimate the next set of fish after the cycling?
Are you going to quarantine them before you add to your tank?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

I've added pieces if cured live rock but never over a few pounds at a time plus I cleaned it really well. Now here is a question: if live rock is cured and came from an established tank, and you added 50 lbs to a 50 gallon tank why would you cycle? I've always used base rock with only a little live rock so I'm assuming that's why I did. I just moved all my live rock to my other tank and I have water going in the old one but no rock yet. Hmmm...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[QUOTE="nikki_kaiser"]

I've added pieces if cured live rock but never over a few pounds at a time plus I cleaned it really well. Now here is a question: if live rock is cured and came from an established tank, and you added 50 lbs to a 50 gallon tank why would you cycle? I've always used base rock with only a little live rock so I'm assuming that's why I did. I just moved all my live rock to my other tank and I have water going in the old one but no rock yet. Hmmm...[/

I think I am totally confusing myself! See what lack of sleep can do? LOL!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

I've added pieces if cured live rock but never over a few pounds at a time plus I cleaned it really well. Now here is a question: if live rock is cured and came from an established tank, and you added 50 lbs to a 50 gallon tank why would you cycle? I've always used base rock with only a little live rock so I'm assuming that's why I did. I just moved all my live rock to my other tank and I have water going in the old one but no rock yet. Hmmm...
To answer that question, I you transferred the rock fairly quick from one tank to another, I'd have to bet that your probably not going to see much of a cycle. There will be minimal die off if any at all...

Tags
cycling, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com