Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
nikki_kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz

I don't even have live rock, I had brand new media and filter, I just used that wet live sand. I wonder if I can start adding more fish. I guess I'll decide that when I get the water tested at the LFS.
I would wait a little bit. How attached are you to the damsels??? The reason I ask is that they are fairly aggressive and territorial. When you add a new fish, they may beat it up pretty good. Honestly, a lot of people don't care for them because of that but their color is very pretty! Once you know for sure that your tank is cycled, if you decide to get rid of them, I would make a list of what you want in the tank and add the most aggressive fish last. That way your easy going fish have time to chill out and get comfy and are less likely to get picked on. Just an opinion!
__________________

__________________
nikki_kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Al.Ilgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser

I would wait a little bit. How attached are you to the damsels??? The reason I ask is that they are fairly aggressive and territorial. When you add a new fish, they may beat it up pretty good. Honestly, a lot of people don't care for them because of that but their color is very pretty! Once you know for sure that your tank is cycled, if you decide to get rid of them, I would make a list of what you want in the tank and add the most aggressive fish last. That way your easy going fish have time to chill out and get comfy and are less likely to get picked on. Just an opinion!
I'm attached but I want other fish. My son has been waiting for nemo for quite a while now. I talked him out of dory because I only have a 56 gallon tank. I'm looking for the fox face, angels and possibly a box fish but that's later on. When you say "get rid of them", how does one get rid of fish? I can't see myself just killing the fish to add others. Does the LFS take fish back for free?
__________________

__________________
Al.Ilgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Box fish can release a chemical when stressed or if they die that can crash the whole tank and kill everything. They get HUGE too so I really don't suggest getting one. More than one dwarf angel together will fight and large angels are too big for your tank. I think your LFS would take the damsel back or try giving it away to someone.
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
nikki_kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz

I'm attached but I want other fish. My son has been waiting for nemo for quite a while now. I talked him out of dory because I only have a 56 gallon tank. I'm looking for the fox face, angels and possibly a box fish but that's later on. When you say "get rid of them", how does one get rid of fish? I can't see myself just killing the fish to add others. Does the LFS take fish back for free?
Your LFS will take them back usually. Good thinking on the tang! They need a lot of swimming room and are harder to keep! Angels...only one and they honestly need a decently established tank. They tend to be on the aggressive side so add towards the end. If you get a box fish, they eat shrimp and crabs so don't put any in there unless you want to feed it an expensive meal. Ask around and get advice on what others think as far as damsels and what their experience has been. I've always had issues with them being mean.
__________________
nikki_kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Al.Ilgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Box fish can release a chemical when stressed or if they die that can crash the whole tank and kill everything. They get HUGE too so I really don't suggest getting one. More than one dwarf angel together will fight and large angels are too big for your tank. I think your LFS would take the damsel back or try giving it away to someone.
What species generally are ideal for a 56 gallon tank? I want to have at least 6 or 7 fish.
__________________
Al.Ilgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
nikki_kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz

What species generally are ideal for a 56 gallon tank? I want to have at least 6 or 7 fish.
There are TONS of options!! It's really important to make sure they can live peacefully together. Go to www.liveaquaria.com and check out the fish there. Look for the ones that don't say "aggressive". It will give you a quick run down of the fish, what they eat, how big they get, and minimum tank size. Clowns, Gobies, dwarf angels, wrasse, hawkfish, there are lots of options!
__________________
nikki_kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
nikki_kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 874
By the way, you may want to consider getting some base rock and seeding it with live rock if you want a decent stock. The cured live rock will help spread the bacteria you need to the base rock as well as provide a good bioload. If your pump were to go out, and that's your main source for bacteria you could be in trouble. For example: I have 55+ lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon. I had a pump on there that went out after a storm (stupid thing wouldn't come back on) however I simply bought a new one because most of my bacteria was on/within my live rock. The live rock also provides an environment similar to the real thing and hiding places for the fish if they get stressed. You can order base rock online or go to an LFS and they usually have it available by the pound. It's a lot cheaper than live rock as well!
__________________
nikki_kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Al.Ilgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
By the way, you may want to consider getting some base rock and seeding it with live rock if you want a decent stock. The cured live rock will help spread the bacteria you need to the base rock as well as provide a good bioload. If your pump were to go out, and that's your main source for bacteria you could be in trouble. For example: I have 55+ lbs of live rock in my 55 gallon. I had a pump on there that went out after a storm (stupid thing wouldn't come back on) however I simply bought a new one because most of my bacteria was on/within my live rock. The live rock also provides an environment similar to the real thing and hiding places for the fish if they get stressed. You can order base rock online or go to an LFS and they usually have it available by the pound. It's a lot cheaper than live rock as well!
I will look into that, thank you for all of your advice and incredibly quick responses. I really appreciate it. I'll bother you again in the future, I'm sure of it. Thank you once again.
__________________
Al.Ilgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
nikki_kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al.Ilgaz

I will look into that, thank you for all of your advice and incredibly quick responses. I really appreciate it. I'll bother you again in the future, I'm sure of it. Thank you once again.
This hobby is addictive once you are established and get going! You will learn new things with every fish you buy! I've been doing it for years and I learn new things on here all the time. It's a lot of fun!
__________________
nikki_kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Al.Ilgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 50
Took the water to the LFS to get it tested, everything checked out! And I got a long nose butterfly! I'll post pictures tomorrow. He's being acclimated now. Thanks again everyone for all your advice.
__________________

__________________
Al.Ilgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycling, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.