Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Alex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had my tank cycling for 2 weeks now and my Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all 0 ppm. I had a spike of ammonia about 10 days ago. Does this mean I'm done cycling? It's seams very fast.

If your nitrate is zero then you've had no cycle. What is your ammonia source?

Well he/she had an ammonia spike so he had some kind of source, same thing happens to me when I finished cycle. I had no or close to any nitrate.

I think your good to go.

I had fish and over feed to get more ammonia from the food decaying

If he had an ammonia spike 4 days after starting solely by over feeding fish, resulting in zero nitrates, he needs to patent the procedure. More likely he had a false positive reading for ammonia with a low end test kit like API.

If he had an ammonia spike 4 days after starting solely by over feeding fish, resulting in zero nitrates, he needs to patent the procedure. More likely he had a false positive reading for ammonia with a low end test kit like API.

Ya I don't know, that's interesting. But he did have fish and its a small tank. I got my spike roughly 6 days after getting my tank set up with fish.

Well I started to get ammonia.

Agreed if there was a ammo spike, then there be a nitrite spike then nitrate readings. Nitrite can be one of the longest part in the cycling process

Agreed if there was a ammo spike, then there be a nitrite spike then nitrate readings. Nitrite can be one of the longest part in the cycling process

I never got mine :s I had ammonia, never saw any nitrite, and i hardly saw any nitrate.

But I put fish in and had no problem when it happened to me.

Hopefully their not using the test strips.

some have short cycles I'm on day 8 with maybe a day or so more
I've seen some tanks cycle fast others that took 6/8 weeks

Back
Top Bottom