Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ready to upgrade my 45 to my 75, has anyone ever cycled a tank half filled with water? I'll be using all new substrate an mostly dry rock for this tank. Can I put in my sand and rock and cycle the tank half filled, then when it's cycled transfer the rest of my live rock, transfer water from the old tank to finish filling the new and transfer all my fish/coral after acclimating them?

Why not just cycle it full? I don't see too much benefit to transferring old water. I would put in some of the old rock, as it has beneficial bacteria that could speed the cycle up a bit.

I agree. I did 55 to 75 a few months ago and used almost all of the water from the 55, dry sand, all the existing rocks and added some dry rocks and had no cycle at all. I moved all the corals, fish and inverts over the same day with no problems at all.

I agree. I did 55 to 75 a few months ago and used almost all of the water from the 55, dry sand, all the existing rocks and added some dry rocks and had no cycle at all. I moved all the corals, fish and inverts over the same day with no problems at all.

Ok I was just worried I would get a cycle from using new rock and sand, I didn't want to lose any fish or coral. Thanks

I just used play sand and rinsed it real well and if the rocks are totally dead dry rock there is no dead/decaying matter to create a cycle. If you're using existing live rock from your current tank it is cycled and the bacteria will inhabit the new rock/sand.

I just used play sand and rinsed it real well and if the rocks are totally dead dry rock there is no dead/decaying matter to create a cycle. If you're using existing live rock from your current tank it is cycled and the bacteria will inhabit the new rock/sand.

I used pool sand in my 45, I haven't decided what I'm putting in the 75 yet.

Back
Top Bottom