Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cycling question

Ready to upgrade my 45 to my 75, has anyone ever cycled a tank half filled with water? I'll be using all new substrate an mostly dry rock for this tank. Can I put in my sand and rock and cycle the tank half filled, then when it's cycled transfer the rest of my live rock, transfer water from the old tank to finish filling the new and transfer all my fish/coral after acclimating them?

Old 10-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just cycle it full? I don't see too much benefit to transferring old water. I would put in some of the old rock, as it has beneficial bacteria that could speed the cycle up a bit.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree. I did 55 to 75 a few months ago and used almost all of the water from the 55, dry sand, all the existing rocks and added some dry rocks and had no cycle at all. I moved all the corals, fish and inverts over the same day with no problems at all.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
I agree. I did 55 to 75 a few months ago and used almost all of the water from the 55, dry sand, all the existing rocks and added some dry rocks and had no cycle at all. I moved all the corals, fish and inverts over the same day with no problems at all.
Ok I was just worried I would get a cycle from using new rock and sand, I didn't want to lose any fish or coral. Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just used play sand and rinsed it real well and if the rocks are totally dead dry rock there is no dead/decaying matter to create a cycle. If you're using existing live rock from your current tank it is cycled and the bacteria will inhabit the new rock/sand.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
I just used play sand and rinsed it real well and if the rocks are totally dead dry rock there is no dead/decaying matter to create a cycle. If you're using existing live rock from your current tank it is cycled and the bacteria will inhabit the new rock/sand.
I used pool sand in my 45, I haven't decided what I'm putting in the 75 yet.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com