Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started my tank a 10g nano reef, got som LR from the LFS Oppland som livesand + mixrd saltwater. The tank has been going for 7 days tomorrow. I dont think i have seen any ammonia spike? Im new to this hobby.
My water test
Salinity - 1.024
Ammonia - 0
PH is between 8.0 - 8.5
Nitrite is under 0,3 (nitrite is low)

Is it possible that my tank dont need that big of a cycle? Went to the LFS and they told me it was ok to *** some CUC. Have 3 turbo snail and 3 hermitcrabs.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389821331.167144.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389821342.634739.jpg

The LR was from a big pool that they has in the store

You mean a sourse to kick the ammonia spike to start? No i havent. I have seen people say they put prawn from the market in the tank? Do i need to do that?

if your going to put a prawn in there.... just pop It in a stocking or something that way when you want to pull it out, you don't lose it

The salinity, nitrit, PH and ammonia is okey, the nitrit is a bit low. But im on my 7 day. I have tested allmost every day, havent seen any huge raise in ammonia and nitrit. So wat is my best option? Thanks for all the help :)

The salinity, nitrit, PH and ammonia is okey, the nitrit is a bit low. But im on my 7 day. I have tested allmost every day, havent seen any huge raise in ammonia and nitrit. So wat is my best option? Thanks for all the help :)

I would have waited before adding CUC and seen how the tanks levels reacted to an ammonia source, I dont believe it completely cycled.

OH, before i forget your tank is just beautiful!

traditionally... if you don't add ammonia/prawns to the tank, it normally takes about 4-6 weeks to cycle. Considering its only been 7 days and you haven't adding any additives its doubtful the cycle is completed... let alone started.... If it was my tank, I would honestly wait it out for another week or 2 and keep doing what your doing to make sure no random cycle isn't going to start before adding additives to the water. People add prawns/ammonia to the water..... from the tanks ive set up in the past I personally just leave the tank alone with no stock for about a month and test the water every 2 days to see whats happening.

Okey! Maybe i need to add ammonia source, wats the best to do here? A chrimp? Thank you so mutch Mattyfelts:) my first noob tank:p

Then i think i will do the samene thing you did alco1

Same thing, and wait for the tank to do it on its own:)

Do i need to change saltwater? or do i live it alene and just top off wit ro/di water wen the salinity is to high. Thx for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom