Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I used the fishless cycling technique from the articles. I put 1 and 1/2 pieces of raw shrimp. The large one still isnt dissolved. Here is my question: I checked the ammonia everyday, and after 1 day the level went to .25ppm and the next day was the same but then it dropped to 0 and I checked to see if the nitrite kicked in but both the nitrite and nitrate levels are at 0. Whats going on?

Double check your test results by taking a sample to your LFS. Hopefully your test kit is not bad. Most likely it will go higher than that. If you could put your tank size in your info section that would help. What size is it?

I agree, also, what is in the tank, like cured live rock or live sand?

the tank is 38 gallons. I have a deep bed of live sand. Also can I put live rock in an aquarium that isnt cycled?

As others have commented, please fill in your "My Info" section with your specifics, because now we're going to start asking your about what type of filtration you have! :lol:

Sooo... if you don't have live rock, what type of filtration are you using? Biowheel? Wet/Dry? Your bacteria that will convert that ammonia to nitrites/nitrates need to live somewhere. They'll take up residence in your sand, but you really need another place for them to call home for efficient processing of the ammonia.

Yes... most folks cycle with live rock. If you don't add it now, you're going to end up with a cycle again anyway unless you get really "live" live rock. Is the "live" sand you're using from another tank that has been up for a while? Or is it the bagged "live" sand?

Not sure where your ammonia went. But if it was processed by bacteria in the live sand, then you should start seeing an increase in nitrates soon, if nothing else.

Yeah the sand is just bagged sand. I only have a skimmer and a powerhead. And im going to look for some lr tomorrow.

Yes you can cure your LR and cycle your tank at the same time. There might even be enough die off to get your cycle going.

My guess is that your initial ammonia spike was a false reading. Without any live rock, or biological filtration other than your sand, once those shrimp start decaying, you're going to see a pretty good rise in ammonia before any nitrites show up. I also would get the rock in there now.

Back
Top Bottom