Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Cycling Questions

Ok so a few questions here. you guys have probably heard these before and I checked some of the previous posts to make sure I couldn't find any information before posting.

I am going to start a 40g Long or something similar (whatever I find close to that size this weekend at the pet stores) and didn't know if I am supposed to put the live rock in the tank while it is cycling right away or wait first? I plan on using some already cured straight from an established SW tank LR probably 10 pounds or so just to get started.

Also I am not to savvy with the RO DI water concept yet. Can I use regular DI water I buy in the containers from WM or a grocery store to get started with the cycling? Im sure RO DI is better but will this work? I know people have told me to buy a unit off ebay you can get one from like 150 shipped but I was hoping to just buy the water first and take that plunge later. I also was planning on using my 10g as a quar. tank and also extra water source for water changes. If I dont keep any fish and just a few pounds of LR and heater on it can I just use that water that I am preparing in the 10g as a source for when I do my water changes? ie drain the needed ammount from the 40g dispose and use the 10g water to replace with btw the 10g is already up and running. thanks for any info

Sorry one more thing I have only had FW and when I do water changes with it I just use my gravel vac to suck the waste out and also about 10-20 gallons of water then replace it. is that the same concept with water changes for salt? Ofcourse I would use the special water for salt though. sorry if these are dumb questions

Pics of my tanks and fish in profile

Reef pics soon to come
BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
1) place the lr in the tank and then start the cycling process( use 1-1.5# of LR per gal of tank size)
2) DI water from WalMart is fine....Be sure to test it first to see if it really is purified water
3) Don't use your QT as a holding tank for SW...Mix it, test and check SG, then airate,heat if needed and run a PH in it for at least a day to let the water stablize and come up to temp.
4) Last but not least.........Happy Reefing!!!

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree. Cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone. Read our article section for good articles on both.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com