Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to melissfish
Cycling questions Newbie in distress

I have had my clownfish in for 5 days and already my tank is reading off. My ph is 8.4 Ammonia is 8.3 and nitrates are good at 0
I did cycle the tank with live bacteria (cycle brand) for 3 weeks before putting fish in. Im using Esi Low to lower the ph but it hasnt yet succeeded, what shall i do now, The fish are still swimming around happily, Do i need to add anything else or change some water?????

Happy Fishing!!
melissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
8.4 is a fine ph for SW, don't sweat it. The problem is, if the only thing you used to cycle your tank was Cycle by Hagen, you didn't cycle your tank. The product does not live up to it's claims and your tank is cycling now that there is a source of nitrogenous waste in the tank.

Take the clown back, get a raw shrimp from the seafood counter at your grocer and put it in the tank, it will break down and the waste will cycle the tank. For more info on this method, follow the link in my sig to the articles section and look for it in the SW articles.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Not to mention that even if that stuff lived up to its claims, three weeks without any source of wastes would surely crush the alleged population of bacteria created by the Cycle stuff.
- Gauge

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, stress

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com