Cycling reassurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrayis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started my cycle with a raw shrimp. I've always read about doing it this way. But I guess I never fully read how to or misunderstood how to do it. I stuffed the shrimp in panty hose and threw it in the tank and just left it. I didn't realize you were only suppose to use the shrimp to raise the ammonia to a certain level and take it out. The shrimp probably sat in the tank for two weeks ( maybe three ) before I researched and found out I was doing it wrong. The ammonia dropped to zero after some time and my nitrite have been high for going on three weeks. I'm just wondering if my cycle is still on schedule or did I possibly damage it from having the shrimp in the tank for so long.

On a side note, I bought two hydor koralia 850 for the 40 gallon breeder. I've been trying to mess with them so they didn't disturb my sand so much. Do you think those ph's are too much for the tank or I just haven't figured out the placement yet ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you keep the shrimp in there, it is a constant ammonia source. When it is still in the tank and the ammonia and nitrite hit 0, then your tank is cycled because the ammonia source is still there but not able to be detected because the beneficial bacteria level has been built up to where you want it.

I took the shrimp out waiting for all my readings to get to zero then I was going to throw some liquid ammonia in the tank and see if it gets rid of it in 24 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom