Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Cycling shrimp

After many discussions on the forum I have decided to cycle my own water. I have some questions:
1. Will the stench of this tank affect my bedroom?
2. How long do i leave the srhimp in the tank?
3. When i get blooms should i clean them or leave it alone
4. How should i use matrix carbon, purigen etc....... in this cycle
5. I have a marineland penguin bio filter and a 660 powerhead for a 60 gal tank will this do??
6. Can i use the purigen and matrix carbon in this particular filter????

pinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You are going to cycle your tank, not the water, right? Keep in mind the rock and substrate house the beneficial bacteria.
1. Possibly.
2. Until the cycle is complete (or you can remove it after the nitrItes spike) but it will be a slimey mess by this time.
3. Let the diatom bloom run it's course.
4. I wouln't use anything during the cycle.
5. Sure, depends on what you want to do with your tank, like FOWLR or reef.
6. I'm not sure on that particular brand, but I am guess most filters will have a place for media, like carbon and some sort of filter pad.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If you use 1 cocktail sized shrimp per 30 gal then you shouldn't notice any smell.

Leave the shrimp in till your cycle is done (nh3/no2 spikes then at 0 ppm) and remove if any is left after the cycle.

I'd leave your lights off which will help keep down algae blooms but other then cleaning the glass I'd leave them alone.

Don't use AC or Purigen. Purigen absorbs nh3/no2/no3 and would slow down or keep your cycle from happening.

I would add another PH or two for better circulation aiming them towards the surface (slight ripple) and at each other from opposite ends of the tank for good oxygen exchange and convulsing currents.

Is the filter HOB or canister? Purigen works best in canisters where water can't bypass the media but will work in a HOB filter but not as effectively since water doesn't go through the media as thoroughly.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com