Cycling shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
After many discussions on the forum I have decided to cycle my own water. I have some questions:
1. Will the stench of this tank affect my bedroom?
2. How long do i leave the srhimp in the tank?
3. When i get blooms should i clean them or leave it alone
4. How should i use matrix carbon, purigen etc....... in this cycle
5. I have a marineland penguin bio filter and a 660 powerhead for a 60 gal tank will this do??
6. Can i use the purigen and matrix carbon in this particular filter????

You are going to cycle your tank, not the water, right? Keep in mind the rock and substrate house the beneficial bacteria.
1. Possibly.
2. Until the cycle is complete (or you can remove it after the nitrItes spike) but it will be a slimey mess by this time.
3. Let the diatom bloom run it's course.
4. I wouln't use anything during the cycle.
5. Sure, depends on what you want to do with your tank, like FOWLR or reef.
6. I'm not sure on that particular brand, but I am guess most filters will have a place for media, like carbon and some sort of filter pad.

If you use 1 cocktail sized shrimp per 30 gal then you shouldn't notice any smell.

Leave the shrimp in till your cycle is done (nh3/no2 spikes then at 0 ppm) and remove if any is left after the cycle.

I'd leave your lights off which will help keep down algae blooms but other then cleaning the glass I'd leave them alone.

Don't use AC or Purigen. Purigen absorbs nh3/no2/no3 and would slow down or keep your cycle from happening.

I would add another PH or two for better circulation aiming them towards the surface (slight ripple) and at each other from opposite ends of the tank for good oxygen exchange and convulsing currents.

Is the filter HOB or canister? Purigen works best in canisters where water can't bypass the media but will work in a HOB filter but not as effectively since water doesn't go through the media as thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom