cycling tank, numbers after 10 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I tested my water for my 150 7 days after I started cycling, but I also got the rest of my live rock (for anyone whos been keeping up with this tank, you know what Im talking about) so I decided to wait a few days to run the full gamut of tests.

So 10 days after initial cycle, heres the numbers.

. ph 8.3
NH3 0.37
NO2 3.0
NO3 80
dKH 12.2
Alk 4.34
PO4 <0.1

The numbers seem to say Im on the road to completion, except something odd that I read in the instructions for the alk/dKH test. It said that natural seawater was (i dont remember the numbers and I dont have the booklet in front of me) pretty different, off, from my readings. Now, I used a salifert test for that and its a little more confusing than the other tests I have so its possible that I did it wrong (thought I dont think so.) Do those numbers sound correct and within the norm?

I didnt bother with magnesium or calcium since theres no coral and I havent dosed anything.

I would not even worry about Mag. or calcium yet. I would only test for Ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates. Until your cycle is done you`ll have all messed up numbers everywhere else. Just test for those 3 only. JMO

I agree. During the cycle on NH3, NO2 and NO3 are important. You can even stop testing Ph. After the cycle process you should rely on a big ol' water change get the rest of the chemistry in order.

Agree with the others... but those alkalinity numbers look fine to me. Both dKh and Alk are both measures of the same thing... just different units. Kind of like Celcius and Fahrenheit. I think optimum alkalinity numbers are between 8 and 12 dkH.

Back
Top Bottom