Cycling Test Results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up my 12 gal JBJ Nano tank last week. It has been running for approximately 7 days and cycling. I have about 18lbs of live rock, 15 - 16 lbs of sand and all the normal filter elements, although I'm considering removing the bio balls, ceramic rings and sponges, replacing them with a media rack. Anyone of you using a media rack with floss, chem pure, & purigen, care to comment on your results?

I did my first baseline test on the 26th:
pH 7.8
Am 0
NitrIte .50
NitrAte 20ppm

My test today showed:
pH 7.8
Am 0
NitrIte .25
NitrAte 5ppm

My question, did I miss the initial Ammonia Spike of the Cycle, or could it still be coming. Since I now see a reduction in my Nitrites and Nitrates, does this mean that they might have also spiked and now are coming down? Or should I expect results to continue to cycle up and down based on the interaction of the tank?

Anyway, hope it's not too silly of a question. I'm going to take a small sample to my LFS to see what number they get in comparison to my API Liquid drop test.

Thanks for any input!

Mike

I use the media baskets in my biocube and love them! I use the media you mentioned and find it does a better job of just live rock which I started off with in the back.

Have you had any ammonia spike? Did you use used water for this tank or fresh mixed saltwater?

Hi Carey.

I didn't do a baseline on the tank immediately after set up, and didn't do my first test for about six days into it. For the last two tests, the ammonia level has been at 0.

Last evening I noticed diatoms forming on the back of the tank and on the sand. Part of the cycle as I understand?

In answer to your question, I purchased the manufactured water from my local fish store (DI/RO).

Thanks again!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom