cycling this fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
put my new live rock in yesterday afternoon and today at about 11 i tested for ammonia cuz im anxious and its off the charts has anyone seen this i got 40# keys what is the explanation for this thanx?

You probably have alot of die off from the rock so the spike is normal. Just do a few water changes to keep the ammonia a little below 1 if you want to preserve the most life on the rock. With my keys rock the featherdusters started popping out as soon as the ammonia went to 0. When the cycle finished all the snails, spaghetti worms, nudibrances, crabs, etc started showing up. I got their gulf rock too and their gulf rock has more life on it. the keys rock has much better coraline though. It took about a week to fully cycle. I'm about 3 weeks in now and the rock looks great.

If he is just starting his cycle he does not have to do a water change. Let the ammonia drop. THats why its called a cycle. Let it cycle out.

well you have been rushing too much, there is No Short Cut , No easier way, No specialy recipe to make this cycle to be done faster than anyone else. If you want to be successful on salt water (even fresh water) aquarium, u got to learn to be patient. I can tell that you try to push everything forward by all the posts you started, but that won't help you.At this stage, wat you can do is sit and wait. We all know looking at the glass tank without anything in it is boring. But we have all been thru that stage. Now some of us have fantastic tank green blue red yellow watever color coral growing in it, it is all because we learn to wait and enjoy.
Btw, you won't have any hitchhikers for now, at least to be alive and healthy.The best bet on hitchhikers is a mature tank with good water condiction.
Maybe i sounds a bit harsh, but that is the basic advice you might hear from others.It will just do you good instead of harm =)

im not rushing at all i have been sitting and waiting just have alot of curious questions that i needed to have answered i havent changed the water and if the cycle takes a long time then it takes a long time im very patient

do a water change the 1st weekend about 10-20% then do another at 3rd weeks depend on your tank size, after u put in life stock you would ned to do at least once every 2weeks, if smaller than 20g, u might even need to do it every week just keep the water in good condiction

He seems to be just enthusiastic about getting started... Probably his first saltwater tank? And patience is a relative term... :wink:

We have a policy about waiting 24 hours before bumping your own thread or complaining about not getting an answer. ;)

it is not like i am aainst him for being all exciting about new salt water tank.It is just have 3 different tittle posts on the same topic is more than enough.

i see people are getting mad i would like to apologize i just have alot of questions and i always think of a new one as i read ayour guy's posts so i ask another one IM SORRY about that! I just want to make sure im doing everything correctly cuz i dont trust my lfs he tell me one thing then i ask you guys and say complete opposite and i trust you more. So id just like to apologize.

Back
Top Bottom