Cycling timetable, is something array?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enyygma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It has now been 2 weeks since I set up a 29 saltwater, 40lbs crushed coral/dolomite, Stability(which was used twice within the first 2 days) by Seachem, Stress coat, undergravel w/1140 powerheads, 1 Mag 350 canister, 1 Eheim Wet/Dry canister, 1 seaclone 100 protein skimmer. Tank has been cycling for 2 weeks now with 1 panther grouper, and 2 damsels being fed generously twice daily, no water changes, only top off of evaporation. Now my concern.....After the first week, my ammonia levels read 0.50 ppm with Nitrite not even registering, Now on the second week, Ammonia levels (according to accompanying chart) are undectable 0ppm, same with Nitrites. Fish are looking healthy, alert and active, and eat regularly.

This is where I am concerned, what happened to the ammonia spike, followed by nitrite? 2 weeks, 3 fish, fed twice daily??? A minimal spike in ammonia the first week, then a complete drop the second?? Is their a remote chance my tank has cycled or am I dreaming? Please respond with any explanations.

It is possible to establish a nitrogen cycle in less the time the average says. It depends on the individual system. I do find a few thing a bit worrisome and perhaps you may want to make some changes now before problems start.

The UGF will cause you trouble later on, especially with a grouper and the generous feedings. Waste gets pulled under the gravel and allow nitrates to saturate the system. You'd be 100% off dismantling it and just stick with the canister and protein skimmer. Over time, that waste can produce and progress disease causing bacteria. I see it all the time. Only very few have gotten away with it and that's because they end up spending more money than what they need to avoid the problem. It costs less to just dismantle it. All powerheads do is blast the waste particles throughout the tank and the fish end up breathing some of it before the intakes to the canister can pick it up. Put a prefilter on each of the powerheads and use them without the UGF.

Careful with feeding. It is very easy to overfeed fish. Just because they eat it doens't mean they need it and all comes out as waste. Keep feeds to 5 to 6 days of the week whatever the fish can consume in between three and five minutes each day. The grouper isn't as active, but the damsels are, so make it four minutes per day. Giving them a time period helps keep them healthier by keeping the water healthier.

Test your nitrates and pH. Let us know what the results are and we'll take it from there :)

BTW...that grouper will outgrow that tank soon. Do you have plans for a larger tank in the very near future?

My tank has been in cycle for only 4 days now and my ammonia spike has passed but my mitrites are still alittle high. So its possible you may have missed the spike. Good Luck

My spkies happened quick; about a week. In 11 days my cycle was completed. I waited three days after that to make sure. Last night I added a cleaner shrimp, a clown and 1/2 a cleaning crew

Back
Top Bottom