Cycling used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azul17

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a Red Sea Reefer 250 used. It was full of green algae and it came with 2 fish. When I brought it home i got rid of all the old water, scrubbed and clean tank bought new live sand and put back same live rock it had before.

Do I need to cycle the tank again since I used all new water?

If the rock was kept wet then it should be just fine, just keep an eye on the parameters and do water changes with ro/di water if you see any ammonia or nitrite levels.

If the rock was kept wet then it should be just fine, just keep an eye on the parameters and do water changes with ro/di water if you see any ammonia or nitrite levels.

Rocks were left on buckets full of saltwater and only for a day before putting them back in the tank.

I think I’ll continue to test the water for a week. If I don’t see any spikes in ammonia then I’ll start adding fish.

So far these have been my readings. It’s day 5 and I haven’t seen any spikes in ammonia. Also my nitrates readings I believe it looks like 5.0 (or what you guys think?)

I have a lot of brown algae on the sand and rocks and the tank glass has green algae.

IMG_1793.jpg

Just keep the lights off. Algae will grow all over in the nutrient rich water that you make while cycling a tank. It can't grow without the light. No reason to make the start harder.

Back
Top Bottom