Cycling using. Prawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least you are testing it right now. No how you feel:) like the Todd said , get it all to 0 and all that you are left with is nitrate. Done a test today and all is good. Nitrate is between 5-10. Only have two clowns so I'm feeding them tiny amount every other day. You live and learn. Good luck

My cycle seems to have completed today after 15 days. I started with dry rock 35 lbs & some live sand with 3 medium raw shrimp. ammonia & Nitrite are now 0 with Nitrate between 20 to 40. My shrimp is still in the tank in a filter bag & I'm gonna leave it for a few days since it's holidays & my house is full of out of town family. I can't get a CUC until after thanksgiving since I work till late everyday until Thursday when I'm off. Will leaving the shrimp & not doing a water change impact anything for a few days? I expect it would be like having fish producing a bio load like normal.

Also I did not ever get any sort of algae so do I need a CUC & as there is no algae what are they going to eat?

Ok so I have removed my shrimp from the tank & have performed my water change to lower my nitrates but apparently not enough. I did not do a very large water change only about 8 gallons so my nitrates seemed to have went down about half from 20 to about 10. I would like to do one more to get it to zero before I put in my first fish.

I am still looking for some advice about a clean up crew? Will I need some since I done have any type of algae on my rocks or sand? I personally want a cleaner shrimp but I might have to find something to feed him with no algae or growth for him to eat.

My nitrates are always around 10 . Once my tank cycled they were around 50ppm. My lfs told me that sometimes it's been known for them to have nitrate between 10-30. I don't think 10 is a problem but if you can get it to nil then go for it .

Thanks for the response Willba, I will try the water change & if it stays at or around 10 so be it. At least now I know what range I should be in.

Any direction on the clean up crew thing would be helpful?

Snails and hermits that's what I have. Done a water test today and I'm between 5-10 so happy days

Thanks for the info, I will slowly add a few fishes and a couple of snails & a shrimp since I like them. Your Nitrate numbers seem like where I would like mine to be once I get some fishes in the tank.

I had to do a lot of water changes. About 2 per week. I would add cuc first. Then clowns.

My cycle seems to have completed today after 15 days. I started with dry rock 35 lbs & some live sand with 3 medium raw shrimp. ammonia & Nitrite are now 0 with Nitrate between 20 to 40. My shrimp is still in the tank in a filter bag & I'm gonna leave it for a few days since it's holidays & my house is full of out of town family. I can't get a CUC until after thanksgiving since I work till late everyday until Thursday when I'm off. Will leaving the shrimp & not doing a water change impact anything for a few days? I expect it would be like having fish producing a bio load like normal.

Also I did not ever get any sort of algae so do I need a CUC & as there is no algae what are they going to eat?
The same thing has happened to me.No algae of any kind.I have only been putting lights on my tank for a few weeks 8 hrs a day and that is it.The rest of the time its pretty dark and my ph is steady at 7.8. I am glad I am not alone.i am not sure about a cuc either except maybe a few cleaner shrimp because they help clean the fish.My hubby wants me to get a few crabs but Idk I don't want them to starve to death.I am planning on growing coralline algae though.I guess I still have some researching to do.

I think the reason I did not get any algae was I listened to everyone & only used RO/Di water & minimal lighting plus I used fry rock so nothing to grow.

I agree with not adding a complete clean up crew that everyone's trying to sell me & I too will just put on 2 shrimp for now. If I do get any kind of algae I will consider other CUC members.
As you pointed out I don't want them to starve.

I finally added a couple if occupants to my tank. I added 2 very small cleaner shrimps & 2 striped cardinals. They seem to be doing ok after 2 days in & all my parameters are good with no spikes on anything.
As like everyone else always do I want to add 1 or to more fish. How long should I have to wait before getting any other stock?

Plus I am now seeing small signs of algae so I will start to put in clean up crew additions.

image-3928005449.jpg

Two or three weeks. So as not to overload your filtration. I was told one or two fish at a time. Hope this helps

Thanks Willba200, I will be patient & wait out the suggested time since it's been proven rushing doesn't pay off in this hobby.
Just saw my neighbor who just crashed his 29 bio cube from just the same thing so waiting is my choice for sure.

Back
Top Bottom