Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycling using. Prawn

Have two raw prawns in tank for last 24hrs
Ammonia has gone up as expected. Now do I leave the prawns as my water has turned a little cloudy. Nitrate and nitrite is at 0

Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Leave them in until the ammonia starts to drop. Hopefully you have then in a nylon sock so they can be removed easily. The water should clear up on its own when cycled and you do a water change.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes they are in a nylon sock. So I just leave them?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. Leave them in. As they decompose, they create ammonia, which is what keeps the cycle going. In the end, you should have zero ammonia, zero nitrites and elevated nitrates.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just about to start my first 40g saltwater tank. I chose to go with Dry rock for a few reasons but I have purchased a 20lb bag of live sand & looking youse shrimp or prawn to start the cycle. I'm looking for any advise to help get the cycle started.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeplt View Post
Just about to start my first 40g saltwater tank. I chose to go with Dry rock for a few reasons but I have purchased a 20lb bag of live sand & looking youse shrimp or prawn to start the cycle. I'm looking for any advise to help get the cycle started.
Same thing...get a shrimp/prawn or two, put it in something (pantyhose) so it does not go all over inside the tank when it starts to decompose and throw it in the tank. Nature does the rest.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

Finally started my tank 7 days ago. It's a 45 gallon but it slim & tall, not ideal for a reef but I like the look & it was a great deal from a friend. I chose to use a canister filter since I did not want to chance a hob skimmer or drill this tank since it's my first salt water. I got a Hydor slim skim and a power head for circulation. Started with 45 lbs Fiji dry rock, 20lbs of aragonite live sand (couldn't find dry at my closest local fish place). I did not want live rock because of a few parasites that my friends got in I their live rocks. I put 2 medium frozen shrimps in the tank, measured salinity, ph 8.0, Ammonia, nitrate & nitrite all were 0 as expected 6 days ago & all have increased as expected or rather quickly as of today. Today ammonia is 2.0, nitrite is between 2.0 & 5.0, Nitrate at 20ppm.
Seems to be moving along faster then I expected but I will wait till next reading to be sure.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Speedy cycle, cool. Put my cuc in yesterday. Want to do it slow and right. Like you I've never done sw before. Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #9

Cycle

Wilba200, If all goes well with this tank I know I will be going bigger but I need to justify another expensive hobby to the wife with success of this tank first.

How long did your Cycle take & what size is your tank?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good question, I think it cycled after a couple of weeks because all tests showed nil. Then I put in 2 raw prawns and ammonia went up as expected. Then a couple of days later it went back down to nil. So I think it may have cycled before prawn went in. My tank size is 3ft 33 gallons.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com