Cycling with biomature filter start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ste76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I've been using biomature for 8 days now. I have 25kg of cured live rock in a tank that is holding 150l of water. On day 2 of using biomature my amonia reached 2.0ppm, with nitrites at 1.0ppm.Days 5, 6, 7 and 8 have given me results of Amonia 0.25 and Nitrites 0.25. (My nitrates are off the scale as expected) Would you recommend that I continue to use this product untill my readings are 0, or should I stop using it now?I would imagine that because of the quantity of cured live rock that I have, I may not see a big spike. Would this be right? Thankyou

Sorry, your right, my mistake. Nitrates are between 10 and 20 at the moment. I have done a number of small water changes over the past week to bring them down.

Sorry, your right, my mistake. Nitrates are between 10 and 20 at the moment. I have done a number of small water changes over the past week to bring them down.

So all readings are zero because there isn't an ammonia source now, correct? If so the tank isn't cycled and you need to leave an ammonia source for the bacteria in the filter to catch up and turn those numbers to zero on there own.

Since posting my original question I have stopped using biomature. I did put 3 prawns in the tank and allowed them to break down after I stopped using the biomature and the amonia and nitrates still read 0.

If it was me I'd just start adding to the tank but slowly. Just keep an eye on the water quality and it will tell you what needs to be done

Yes, I think I will. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and advise.

Back
Top Bottom