Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

cycling with damsel

My tank that has been cycling for about a week with live rock, I added a yellow tail damsel.

Its been in there for 4 days already, and it is fine from what I can see, it swims, hides, and eats.

my water is about at all the levels it should be at,

Why does everyone say not to use damsels to cycle the tank, will it take some time till mine dies, or will it be fine?

Also I plan on adding 2 clowns by the end of this week. Will the yellow tail damsel be aggressive to the clowns?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Try to imagine living in a cesspool. Or in a setpic tank. The damsels can live thru the cycling, but imagine having that ammonia go thru your gills if you were a fish.

I'd suggest you remove the damsel now and take him back to the lfs. Add a piece of grocery store shrimp to get the ammonia up.

I hope you have an ammonia and nitrite test kit so you can tell how successful the cycling is - rather than just waiting "4 days".

And yes, there is a good possibility the damsel will bother any new fish you add. Then you get stress. Then someone gets sick. Then all your fish die. OK, maybe not that bad, but the potential for all that to happen is there.

Look into our articles section on cycling SW. You'll see how easy it is to do with a raw grocery store shrimp.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0000 View Post

Why does everyone say not to use damsels to cycle the tank, will it take some time till mine dies, or will it be fine?

Also I plan on adding 2 clowns by the end of this week. Will the yellow tail damsel be aggressive to the clowns?
That is exactly why people should not cycle a tank using live fish. Your not only torturing that fish by putting it through the cycle, but it seems your also fine with killing a fish in order to get your tank going. You should take that fish out of the tank and return it to the store until you properly cycle the tank using fishless methods. It's not hard, all you have to do is throw in a raw shrimp, wait for the ammonia and nitrites to spike, take out whats left of the shrimp, wait for the ammonia and nitrites to go back to 0 and your good to go.

If you do not cycle the tank correctly, then your basically just flushing money down the toilet if you buy the 2 clowns and you won't be making any friends with your method of cycling here.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the above sentiments. There is no reason to cycle with fish. With your current approach, all you will succeed in is spending money and killing fish. There is so much good information here and elsewhere on how to properly cycle. Why not heed the advice of those with more experience?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Another thing. You say your water levels are what they should be at. Can you explain that further????

I'm especially interested since you are trying to cycle a tank. How high did your ammonia go up to? And the nitrites?

What are the readings now?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

On June 11, just 3 days ago, you asked questions about the raw shrimp method and folks expained that to you. What made you change your mind and do the damsel anyway?

shrimp for cycling?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

THIS IS WHY:

I tried doing water tests on my own and was getting pretty weird results, probably becuase I was doing something wrong.

I filled a cup of my water and took it to my local aquarium store (not petco or petsmart a legit fish store that only sells saltwater stuff).

I told the guy it has been about a week or less with my live sand and rock.

He did the tests and told me everything is almost exactly where it should be.

He told me to go home and do a 10% water change, and then I can add a few fish and some snails and crabs.

If I knew my water was bad, I would not buy damsel just so it would specifically cycle my tank.

Obviously my cycle is not complete since its only been about a week, but I just what the lfs guy told me.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also to Austinsdad : I will try to do water tests again tonight and post results.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0000 View Post
THIS IS WHY:

I tried doing water tests on my own and was getting pretty weird results, probably becuase I was doing something wrong.

I filled a cup of my water and took it to my local aquarium store (not petco or petsmart a legit fish store that only sells saltwater stuff).

I told the guy it has been about a week or less with my live sand and rock.

He did the tests and told me everything is almost exactly where it should be.

He told me to go home and do a 10% water change, and then I can add a few fish and some snails and crabs.

If I knew my water was bad, I would not buy damsel just so it would specifically cycle my tank.

Obviously my cycle is not complete since its only been about a week, but I just what the lfs guy told me.
Bad advice would cause me to question their legitimacy.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Cool. Post the results and let us know.

P.S. - don't rely on the lfs. We'll help you, but you gotta learn some stuff too.

Tags
cycling, damsel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com