Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling with dead liverock

We moved and my 31lbs of liverock died out. I put it into my 30g with water and a powerhead and Im letting it do its thing. Ammonia, nirites, and nitrates are are obscenly high, so Im hoping it's cycling?

Thoughts on on cycling with dead liverock? I bought 14 more lbs and will use some to reseed the old stuff, but I dont want to put it in until the cycle is finished.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Sounds good to me. I used uncured liverock to cycle my tank with and it worked pretty good. If ammonia is high, it's cycling, which is all you need.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #3

Awesome How long do you think I have for it to be done? (dont want to add my live liverock until its done!)
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When you see 0 on the test for Ammonia and 0 on the test for NitrIte then you are ready for a large PWC to lower your NitrAtes and then you can start putting in your LR.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may want to consider doing a PWC on the container holding the LR if ammo. is very high. That will prevent some of the life on the rock from being killed during the curing process. You want to keep as much bio-diversity as possible. It's generally recommended to keep ammo. under 2-3 ppm when curing w/ LR. Just something to consider, good luck.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You might want to think about adding the new rock to the tank now so as to help with the cycle.This new LR you have is already cured? If not then it will cure as your tank cycles. If the ammonia is too high as Mike said then do a PWC so as to lower it and not kill off all your inverts.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 AM   #7

The LR in the tank right now is all dead- it dried out for about 2 weeks...Im not sure there is anything left for the ammonia to kill?
I havent added the "new" lr (rock is a few years old) because Im worried the ammonia will kill off the good stuff on the new rock, so the new rock is in my 10g nano

Tags
cycling, dead, live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com