cycling with filter on or off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
Should I have my aquaclear on or off while i cycle the tank, the sand has died down.

could you give some info on what type of setup you have? That would be quite helpful. Because for example if you're using more than one pound of live rock per gallon of water, then i'd say you dont need the HOB aquaclear at all, save for carbon occasionally.

However if you're doing a fish only tank and plan to use no live rock and just use the hob filter, then yes, you need to run it during the cycle.

The cycle is not cycling the water. Very common misunderstanding imo. Cycling means you're getting the bacteria that breaks down amonia to its final stage to grow on either the live rock (if you're using it) or the filter media (if you're using that instead of live rock).

So if you dont have the filter running during the cycle...well, do you see where the problem would be? There would be no water (which has the amonia in it to get the bacteria going) running over the media in the filter, which is what needs the bacteria in order to call it "cycled".

Hopefully that was clear and made sense lol. If not, just ask again ;)

If using LR, just take out the media in the filter and use it to turn the water over for flow. Don't cycle with media in the filter so you don't get the bacteria growing on the media and get that to start dropping NO3 into your tank. Of course, that is if you are going to be using LR for filtration.

If you do take the media out, get some LR rubble from thee fish store and throw it in the HOB. I also make sure to clean mine out under the tap about every 2nd water change to make sure nothing settles to the bottom of the box and starts decaying (thereby dumping NO3 inot the system).

I kept my HOB on there to run flow and for gas exchange, also a good place for the pump I have running my UV Sterilizer to sit.

I cycled my tank with my filter on, in order for the media to build up the beneficial bacteria.

Yes thats what I was waiting for. I thought it was important to cycle with the filter because its important to build up the beneficial bacteria...and the filter is where they live. Its a 2 gallon nano set-up with 2.5 lbs or lr and 4lbs of ls. I am using the aquaclear 20 on the lowest setting and I have the sponge in the bottom of the filter the carbon in the middle which loses its usefullness after a few days apparently, and some live rock rubble on top. Thanks for the support roka.

Tentacles said:
and the filter is where they live.
Also the sand and LR and even the sponge.
I haven't run carbon in a while. Watch that sponge, they can become nitrAte factories.

well ideally you should have live rock...thats where they are naturally and live rock will be more than enough filtration for a tank, if you get more than 1 pound per gallon of water that is. And you've got live rock, so honestly, i'd just forget about the hob filter and run it empty. Thats what i do for my 2.5 I got a whisper 20 running empty (well i think i got some rock rubble and a snaill in there lol) and thats all the flow i need. Then i've got 3 pounds about of live rock in the tank. So far my xenia has split like 4 times, my zoas are growing good, and my button polyps are coming back after almost dieing in my other tank. And all the hermits and snails are good too.

favorite idea so far

so i think im just gunna break up some extra pieces of lr and put them in my filter, and let it run through that.

no sponge for clarity or anything?

thanks

i have a 10 gallon nano with a hob filter with a carbon cartridge that fits down inside. I recently changed my carbon filter cuz of all the nasy stuff on it, should I have left it in even though it was covered in organic matter and debris? can i completely take out the carbon filter and put some LR rubble in it even though the chamber is very small?

Tentacles said:
no sponge for clarity or anything?
The carbon will make the water clear and remove some metals/chemicals, the sponge just seems to trap gunk and should be cleaned with each PWC, in the old SW.
napydred said:
should I have left it in even though it was covered in organic matter and debris?
I think this would eventuallt lead to nitrAtes building up.
napydred said:
can i completely take out the carbon filter and put some LR rubble in it even though the chamber is very small?
You can if you like. If you already have 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon, you are already in great shape and probably don't really need to add the rubble...Others, feel free to add input.

Back
Top Bottom