Cycling with flake food (and new tank updates)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice touch with the tonga. I'd juggle the far right pile to try and make a few more holes for the fishes to swim thru / around.

Well, it looks like my cycle is done. It took a while because I ended up adding a few more pieces of LR. But it's finally done. I'm hoping to add to the clean up crew tomorrow and maybe add a clown. Also need a peppermint shrimp to take care of a few small aiptasia. I also think I have a small piece of bubble algae starting up so I'm going to get one or two emerald crabs. How many snails should I get? I'm thinking around 10-20 (combination of trochus, nassarius and cerith snails). Should I get more? I also already have 5 hermit crabs and I'll probably add a couple more of those guys.

Oh yeah, I have another question for you guys. I have a HOB power filter right now and I guess it's my understanding that I don't really need it now. I was thinking of taking out the sponge with carbon but leaving it on to add more flow. I would occasionally stick the sponge back in there (like when I do a water change and stuff) to collect some big particles. What do you guys think?

img_763899_0_476952a79f3a3bfb18cd7c5a8df01abd.jpg

Make sure you drip acclimate your inverts for at least 2 hours, they are very intolerant of water changes.
I am not a big fan of hermits, I have 3 maybe 4 in my 55G. Make sure you get them some bigger shells to move into, otherwise they might make your snail's shells their homes. You can probably buy extra shells at a local craft store.
Crabs tend to become more agressive oince they get bigger, so I would only go with one emerald crab, or just pull that piece of rock out and clean off the algae.
You snail selection sounds good. Maybe look into a fighting conch.
The HOB, you can leave on and remove the sponge.
Does it have a biowheel? If so, they tend to become nitrAte factories and can be replaced with LR rubble.

Thanks roka. I'll definitely acclimate for at least 2 hours.

As for the hermits, I've already noticed that the ones I have are molting and moving into bigger shells. Luckily, everytime I go to the LFS, I ask for a few empty shells and they are more than willing to oblige.

Is it ok to get all the snails and hermits all at once? Will that overload the tank or is it better to add them little by little. I'm hoping to get at least 10 snails at the LFS after work, a couple hermits and an emerald along with a clown.

The HOB does not have a biowheel so I don't have to worry about that. I took the sponge out last night and will only use it periodically to clear up the tank after water changes and things like that. I definitely want to add some LR rubble for extra biological filtration so maybe I will get that today too...

I added 36 snails to my 55G, at once. They don't effect your bio load. Wait till you see them crawling up your acclimation bucket! LOL!

DurTBear said:
Hahahaha!!! Do they try to crawl out or do they pretty much stay in the water?
I got paranoid and for the first 30 mins, I pushed them back in, but after that, I let them be. None of them climbed out.

You were totally right. The nassarius snails were going crazy and kept climbing above the water line. Like you, I kept pushing them back in but eventually, I just let them be as well.

DurTBear said:
You were totally right. The nassarius snails were going crazy and kept climbing above the water line. Like you, I kept pushing them back in but eventually, I just let them be as well.
LOL! Cool!

I posted this on the identification forum already but I thought I'd add it to this thread as well. I bought a small quarter pound piece of LR from the LFS with 2 ricordea mushrooms on it for $1! Can you believe it?! Here is a pic of one of them:

img_770400_0_083588bb4edd3f2af8adc7ab15b1f38c.jpg

img_770400_1_f3f1fcb4cf8abb656c3fdc9f69571cbd.jpg

I hope to add a couple fish within the next couple of weeks!

Just wanted to drop by and show you an updated pic of my tank. Here is a full tank shot. I have added a few pics of some of the new inhabitants to my gallery if you'd like to check them out.

By the way, are there any photography experts out there? I want to know how you guys take such colorful pics! I'm guessing they are taken under actinics or moonlights but I'm still learning how to do it. I only have a canon sd600 point and shoot so I will be a bit limited. But if anyone has any tips, I'd be more than happy to listen!

img_774168_0_9e671a96c820b577e28cdcd6b60f484a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom