Cycling with live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First of all, thank you everyonefor your kind words and good solid advice, I really appreciate it.

I'm to my 2nd step now.. my live rock should be here thursday. I'm excited! My first question being, I had hoped the rock would actually ship and get here tomorrow ( I have all day off) , but it looks as if its coming on thurs - I can at least come home for lunch - how long will the live rock be ok out of the water in the shipping box? I imagine it'll work out ok that I can get to it, but just in case? Next time I'm paying a bit more for next day delivery ;)

Anyhow, (I had gotten the regular fiji rock from live aquaria) If I am understanding this is I can put the rock directly into the aquarium to begin to cycle it, correct? I've also been reading various things on what should be done PWC wise.. do I need to do any during cycling? Ive heard not, because it slows cycling down. Also, after cycling do you recommend a PWC or not until I get fish?

You think you do a lot of research and then you start actually putting stuff together LOL

thanks again for all your help :)

You will have some die off form the shipping. I would place the rock (since it is not cured LR anymore) in the tank. Watch your water parameters, you should see a spike in ammonia (for the die off, totally natural) then a decline and a spike in nitrItes, after this the nitrItes should drop and nitrAtes will spike. Once you have no ammonia and nitrItes, do a large PWC to reduce your nitrAtes. Then you are all set to slowly start adding fish (inverts/clean up crew don't have a real bioload effect on your tank), but don't overdue a clean up crew in a new tank, since there will not be enough for them to eat.

I think Roka pointed you in the right direction. Also make sure you keep an eye on your skimmer after you add the LR. It will start to pull some nasty stuff out so it will need to be cleaned weekly, the collection cup and neck that is.

Protein skimmer during cycling? Hmm I guess I better get shopping. I had someone on here tell me I didnt need one for cycling with live rock. See this is why i'm confused LOL ...

There is a yes and a no to that question. It isn't a have to have but for me personally I wouldn't have a SW tank running at all without a skimmer regardless of how long it has been up. I just went through a week where I had to wait on a part for my skimmer and I was freaking out. The skimmer is going to remove the DOCs from the water. Most people that cure LR have a skimmer running on that system to clean the water.

So yes and no. For me yes.

Ok good to know, I guess I'll be shopping for one today then. It makes sense now that I think about it. Do you think I should be ok for right now getting a cheaper one from the LFS or should waiting a few days for a better one to come in from online be ok?

I would get one online. LFSs tend to have a very high mark up on prices and don't always carry good equipment. Check on craigslist and ebay. If you get a good skimmer now you wont have to replace it later.

Octopus skimmers are a good inexpensive option.

Protein skimmer during cycling? Hmm I guess I better get shopping. ...
Many people don't use a protein skimmer at all. Once my skimmer started removing cupfulls of nasty sludge that looked like motor oil I knew I made the right choice. But before you get a protein skimmer. Do you have an RO/DI unit, Refractometer, Saltwater mixing tubs with heaters and powerheads, Good test kits, and extra salt buckets on hand. I would buy all of that before the skimmer if you haven't already. Cycling with live Rock was a great choice. How much did you order? Just remember if you add more live rock later it will have to cycle seperately in a garbage can or something for a while before adding to a tank with livestock so it doesn't create another cycle. So I would definatlely make sure you have all the rock you need before buying a protein skimmer If It was me. I placed 2 orders and have 90# or so in my 46gallon tank.

I have everything but an RO/DI unit. I know I'm going against the grain on that one, but I've kind of been keeping an eye out for a decent priced one, its on my to get list, but a bit pricey. I tested my tap water - after I dechlorinated / de-choramined it and tested at 0 for nitrAtes, I just need to test for phosphorus before I do much more. I tested the water in the aquarium - 0 nitrates, 8.3 ph, 1.022-1.023 spef gravity. I have a refractometer, extra salt, buckets, a good testing kit, and heaters, basically all thats left is powerheads and a skimmer.. I was just hoping I could wait until may 16th to buy the skimmer.. heh.

as for live rock, I have 45# on order, I was going to stop by the LFS and get about 20-30# base rock - is $2 a # a decent price? seems cheap to me..

Waiting until the 16th wouldn't be an issue since you haven't had one to this point anyway.

This is where I got my RO/DI unit and I've had it since 2005. Great unit great price. I've also ordered replacement filters from the same person.

Reef Rock | Pet Solutions

Here is a pretty good deal on base rock, 50 pounds for sixty dollars, and they will ship it to you for ten dollars. If your going to be buying skimmer or anything else online anytime soon I would consider ordering this base rock, you cant beat it for price and it can be added to your system at anytime.

Good, I was hoping I could wait a week to get the skimmer. I want to be able to afford a decent one. I'll certainly have enough money then. I have my live rock on order, it should be here tomorrow, so hense no skimmer yet. As long as it will be ok for a week with no skimmer, I'm fine with that.

Would the octupus 110 be good enough for a 55 gal or should I get the next one up?
also the coral life super skimmer is on fosters & smith for $103 - 65 gal.. although the octupus would probably be a better skimmer for the price? Ive read people seem to like both.

And too seems to be only after cycling i need to worry about a decent size PCW, correct?

thanks again for the help :)

The Octopus 11o should be fine for that tank.
Wait till the cycle is over and then do a 30% - 50% water change. Don't worry about the water parameters during the cycle. Just check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels every few days to see where you are in the cycle.

I'm one that doesn't run a PS or do PWC's during the cycle.

I would also suggest washing the rock off in some SW first and then add to the tank. Cycling the tank and curing the rock at the same time. We have some nice articles in our SW article section on cycling and curing. Good Luck on the adventure.

Thats what I intend to do .. cure / cycling with the live rock :)

No one answered one of my earlier questions though - my live rock should be due in tomorrow. How long is it ok to keep it in the shipping box outside? Ideally I know into the tank asap is ideal but given that its about 60 degrees, partially cloudy outside? I should be able to get out of work for lunch, and hopefully its arrived by 2-3pm, but if not is another 2-4 hours going to hurt it? I know it might create more die off which can be good for a cycle.. right? Just want to make sure. Worse comes to worse I can have my boyfriend stop by to check if its arrived yet..

thanks again for the kindness/ help :)

You can track it on the web right? A few hours more won't hurt. You will be surprised at what will grow back.

Yep, just checked the tracker - it left L.A a few hours ago is the most recent update. I guess ill just have to check it tomorrow to get a better idea. Good to know that it should be ok.

You are using it for cycling so a few hours extra won't hurt. There will be a minimal amount of additional die off. The better to kick the cycle with ;)

Thanks for the help so far :) Ive got my rock just fine. I have to say I was very happy with it - I got one wonderful rock, pretty good size, with a cave right in it. Im sure the fish will love it when I get them. The others were nice too, but that one was really neat. Ill certainly post pics when I get them taken.

Right now I have about 60# of live rock. It typically takes about 4-6 weeks cycling, right? I tested ammonia levels this afternoon, it looks like its between 0 and 0.25 ppm not quite yellow for 0 and not quite light green for 0.25. A good start for just 4 days I'd think?

Back
Top Bottom