Cycling with live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

borlaracing9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys, just a quick cycling question... I got my water right my live sand down an my 35lbs of live rock in my tank. Do I just drop my raw uncooked shrimp in to begin my first cycle?

Thanks alot for the help!

your cycle possibly could of started for having the live rock already. unless it has been cured from a tank that was well established. if not, then your tank is cycling with the live rock you have now.

thats a good point but my rock is a mix of about 75% cured and 25% uncured.. So would you recommend that i put maybe 1 raw shrimp in there to help the cycle?

So that wont mess up anything that could have started? I think i should be okay judging by my water level readings which are:

Nitrate: 20mg/L
Nitrite: 0mg/L
Ammonia: .5mg/L
PH: 8.1

Here are some pics of my tank at its current status with the live rock and 2 pieces of white dry lock:

Attachments

• photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 106
  • photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 69
  • photo(9).jpg
    photo(9).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 71
so far so good. what tank is that? maybe consider in buying more live rock?

Go ahead and add the one shrimp. Have you read our article on SW cycling?

Yep i read the article i just thought i should ask because i did have a mix of cured and uncured rock and i didn't know if adding the shrimp would mess up the cycle.. hah

btw im in your position also. im cycling a tank at the moment too :)

hah its def an adventure.. hope it continues to go smooth.. I was gonna go grab a 10 gallon tank and a hang on the back filter to put in my display to get that cycled so i can just mix the water for the 10 and hang its cycled filter right on and have a quarantine tank ready on standby after i get it a lid with lighting and the heater hah.

Back
Top Bottom