Cycling with live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had originally planned to cycle with live rock but a friend told me I should not because it will kill most of the life on the rock. So the question is: Would it be better to cycle with shrimp then after it completes add the rock and do a couple water changes a few days apart while it cycles. OR tell my friend he is full of %#@#* and cycle with the rock to start with?

OR tell my friend he is full of %#@#* and cycle with the rock to start with?
BINGO!! lol
LR is by far the best way to cycle a new tank. Go for it. :wink:

Cycle with your live rock. Either way your going to have to cure your rock, and will experience die-off. Might as well put it to good use and cycle your tank without subjecting fish to 6 weeks of bad water quality. If you can find some live sand, that'll help too. You only need a pound or two to seed your tank. This isn't necessary, but it will help. GL & HTH!!!

brenden im cycling my 29 gal tank right now with 40 pounds of keys rock from lr.com in 8 days im almost done with my cycle im wating for my nitrites to go down then im good to go i would recommend the live rock. however most of your hitchhikers will die but i did see a crab today in a hole in the rock he was pretty large.

Back
Top Bottom