Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycling with Liverock - Water Changes?

Today I bought about 26 lbs. (I know I will need more) of liverock and put it in my 60 gallon tank. Is this a sufficient amount of rock to begin cycling with? How long will it be before I see the ammonia start to rise? Also, how often should I do water changes (and what %) while I am cycling? And finally - after I mix the salt water to replace in the tank when I do a water change, how long should I let it sit before I actually add it to the tank?

Thanks!

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Cycling with Liverock - Water Changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDolphin
Is this a sufficient amount of rock to begin cycling with?
Should be depending on die off and how well cured it was (if at all). Be aware though that any additional rock added later will have the same effect. If possible buy as much as you need at the start or be prepared to cure any future purchases seperately from the main tank.

Quote:
How long will it be before I see the ammonia start to rise? Also, how often should I do water changes (and what %) while I am cycling?
Again that will depend on the rock but usually the ammonia will show up within the first week, longer if there is little die off. Water changes (if any) should be done on an as needed basis to keep ammonia in check. If this is precured LR, you porbabley won't need any and in fact may need to add something to spur on the ammonia cycle. If this is fresh uncured LR, you may need to do them daily. Up to 50% is somethimes needed for large amounts of ammonia.

Quote:
And finally - after I mix the salt water to replace in the tank when I do a water change, how long should I let it sit before I actually add it to the tank?
In a new set up without animals this is not "as" necessary but no reason why not to start off on the right foot. It's best to allow the new SW to mix with PH for about 24 hrs. Check temp salinity and pH to ensure they match the display tank. The pH in a cycling tank is a bit of a dogs breakfast so do not be concerned with that too much until after the cycle. It's good practice to keep an eye on it though.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yes it is sufficient to begin the cycle, although if the rock was cured, you may not experience a cycle until you add something to produce nitrogenous waste. If it isn't fully cured the tank will have a mini cycle each time you add rock. Whether you should do water changes is debatable, if cycling with LR, I recommend it, without adding the ful amount of LR at one time and curing it all...I would test and when the level hits .50ppm do 25-50% change. The SW should be mixed and aerated for a minimum of 12 hours and preferrably 24 hours before use.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it ok for the lights to be on while the tank is cycling with the LR?

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
steve-s

Depends on the rock and what's on it. If there is no external light dependant animals, you do not really need it. If there is, you might just want to run them 3-4 hrs a day or just the actinics (if seperate ballast) for a few hours longer. The main concern will be nuisance algaes.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
cycling, live, liverock, rock, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com