Cycling with Liverock - Water Changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I bought about 26 lbs. (I know I will need more) of liverock and put it in my 60 gallon tank. Is this a sufficient amount of rock to begin cycling with? How long will it be before I see the ammonia start to rise? Also, how often should I do water changes (and what %) while I am cycling? And finally - after I mix the salt water to replace in the tank when I do a water change, how long should I let it sit before I actually add it to the tank?

Thanks! :jump:

BlueDolphin said:
Is this a sufficient amount of rock to begin cycling with?
Should be depending on die off and how well cured it was (if at all). Be aware though that any additional rock added later will have the same effect. If possible buy as much as you need at the start or be prepared to cure any future purchases seperately from the main tank.

How long will it be before I see the ammonia start to rise? Also, how often should I do water changes (and what %) while I am cycling?
Again that will depend on the rock but usually the ammonia will show up within the first week, longer if there is little die off. Water changes (if any) should be done on an as needed basis to keep ammonia in check. If this is precured LR, you porbabley won't need any and in fact may need to add something to spur on the ammonia cycle. If this is fresh uncured LR, you may need to do them daily. Up to 50% is somethimes needed for large amounts of ammonia.

And finally - after I mix the salt water to replace in the tank when I do a water change, how long should I let it sit before I actually add it to the tank?
In a new set up without animals this is not "as" necessary but no reason why not to start off on the right foot. It's best to allow the new SW to mix with PH for about 24 hrs. Check temp salinity and pH to ensure they match the display tank. The pH in a cycling tank is a bit of a dogs breakfast so do not be concerned with that too much until after the cycle. It's good practice to keep an eye on it though.

Cheers
Steve

Yes it is sufficient to begin the cycle, although if the rock was cured, you may not experience a cycle until you add something to produce nitrogenous waste. If it isn't fully cured the tank will have a mini cycle each time you add rock. Whether you should do water changes is debatable, if cycling with LR, I recommend it, without adding the ful amount of LR at one time and curing it all...I would test and when the level hits .50ppm do 25-50% change. The SW should be mixed and aerated for a minimum of 12 hours and preferrably 24 hours before use.

Depends on the rock and what's on it. If there is no external light dependant animals, you do not really need it. If there is, you might just want to run them 3-4 hrs a day or just the actinics (if seperate ballast) for a few hours longer. The main concern will be nuisance algaes.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom