Cycling with LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read so much on the "Fishless cycle" method and while doing so have come across several comments stating that some have cycled with fully cured LR in a new tank!

So if I get fully cured LR, setup my tank as mentioned in a previous post ... add LS, LR, equipment, then water! As the die-off from the fully cured LR starts this will kickoff my cycle?

Do I still need to add a shrimp or 2, or will the die-off from the LR being put in a new tank be sufficient enough for a true cycle?

TIA,

Jermz

i would still add some shrimp , just cycling with lr would be kinda slow so. so i would add a shrimp or 2 to add some an extra ammonia source

Live rock works wonderfully. But uncured live rock or partiallycured would be better than fully cured.

So after some more research I have came up with this ....

"For using Uncured LR to cycle a new aquarium it is best to add the LR after about a week of having the tank running with just the LS in."

So after a week of the tank running with just the LS, do I just place the rock in or is there some type of process that should be followed. Such as cleaning, scrubing, or picking stuff off the rocks? Wouldn't the dead stuff be beneficial to the cycle? :?

Do you all agree with this or should I setup everything first and then add my water and let the tank cycle?

I did find though that uncured LR is considerably cheaper than cured!!! that makes me :D !!!!!

Thanks

Any ideas on the above questions?

And sorry but I have another question ...

premiumaquatics.com has Premium Fiji un-cured LR for $3.49 per pound, I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want some Keys Rock from LR.com. Since that rock is cured I think it would be best if I add that down the road after the tank is established. Would it be a bad idea to add Keys Rock on top of Fiji?

ONE MORE DAY TO CLOSING ON THE NEW HOUSE AND SEVEN MORE UNTIL TANK GOES UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :multi: :multi: :band: :multi: :multi:

(y)
Thank you ... you guys are AWESOME!

premiumaquatics.com has Premium Fiji un-cured LR for $3.49 per pound, I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want some Keys Rock from LR.com. Since that rock is cured I think it would be best if I add that down the road after the tank is established. Would it be a bad idea to add Keys Rock on top of Fiji?
I would order the Fiji and use it (and a shrimp) to cycle. Most likey, the fiji will come two or three day air and will need to be re-cured. Use the die off on the rock to start the cycle. Once the cyle is comeplete, order some Keys rock from lrs.com. It will show up next day air and have very little die-off on it. Put it into the tank and monitor things for another week or so before you start to add fish.
ONE MORE DAY TO CLOSING ON THE NEW HOUSE AND SEVEN MORE UNTIL TANK GOES UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!! Don't look at the bottom line...just sign your life away.

lando said:
I would order the Fiji and use it (and a shrimp) to cycle. Most likey, the fiji will come two or three day air and will need to be re-cured. Use the die off on the rock to start the cycle. Once the cyle is comeplete, order some Keys rock from lrs.com. It will show up next day air and have very little die-off on it. Put it into the tank and monitor things for another week or so before you start to add fish.

Awesome ... I will do that then. Best thing is liverocks.com is about 20 minutes away from me so when I do add the Keys Rock I won't have to worry about shipping it!!!

lando said:
Congrats!!! Don't look at the bottom line...just sign your life away.

HaHa ... It feels like I already have. Between the Insurance and Mortgage paperwork, I don't know how I can sign another paper! And I know that the closing has ALOT more paperwork!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAARGH 8O
OH well anyway thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom