Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cycling with LR... issues

Alrighty. The time has come... and so far, I have conflicting stories.

What is best?

Cycle with shrimp first, large water change, THEN add LR
Cycle with LR AND a shrimp (or two), then large water change
Cycle with LR only, then large water change

I have 60 lbs base hirocks, and am planning on adding 40 lbs of keys/gulf rock from LR.com for my 60 gal... NOTE: the tank is empty/new/dry, so I can do any option at this point.

What would be the best method to make sure that a) the tank gets properly cycled so I can add in one clown after cycle is 100% finished and b) ensure that the LR survives with as much color/life as it came with.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-15-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Cycle with shrimp first, large water change, THEN add LR
That would expose the LR to the least amount of ammonia and nitrite, therefore stressing the life on it less. You would get a good cycle which will help limit the additional cycle you will have again after adding the LR . Add the baserock w/ a shrimp(or two) first IMO.
Quote:
Cycle with LR AND a shrimp (or two), then large water change
That is what I did initially and looking back I think that added to the "recovery" time of my LR after the cycle. I feel more life would have survived and what did survive would have repopulated the rock faster. HTH

Old 04-15-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say, given that you already have the hirocks base rock, put that in your tank and throw a couple raw shrimp in as well. This will get your cycle going really well and will make your base rock "live." After the cycle is complete, order your liverocks.com rock and you will be all set.

tripper
Old 04-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

that is what I was planning on doing.. I have my saltwater and LS in my 55 already.. goin out of town this weekend..gonna start my cycle Tues when I get back.gonna have 30lbs of dead rock(hirocks.com), 35lbs of lr.com rock, I had bought a11bls of lr from my lfs and was gonna put in today.. my dead rock hasn't come in yet... I still don't really know If I"m gonna put a shrimp in.. I've read too much, lol.. too many opinions..
Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice

Don't worry... the aragonite sand and hirocks are in there already... wanted something nice to look at other than a 100% empty tank. So, after the cycle is finished and I do a large water change & introduce new LR.com rock, how long after would it be safe to introduce 1 or 2 clowns?

I'm assuming there may be another (although very small, if at all) ammonia spike, but would it be safe to add in the clowns a day after the LR is placed in? A week? 2? A month? I don't want to rush it.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

From what I've read, I'd do a cleanup crew first.. and wait a few more weeks for fish.. but that's my opinion.. and u know what they say about opinions..Everyone has one..lol 8)
Old 04-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

haha... more opinions!

I didn't think a new tank would have enough "food" to keep inverts alive. Would cleaner shrimp/snails/hermit crabs survive if they are introduced first? I know a scooter/lawnmower blenny & goby is in the works... just wasn't sure of the exact order.

I can take this as slow as I want... just wanna make sure I don't introduce something that won't be able to live in a new tank.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

from what I've read, LR should have things for the some of the cleanup crew.. the snails live off algae and stuff.. just have to do some research.. LOTS to learn..lol
Old 04-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You probably won't see much of a spike when you put the LR in because you have such a large bacteria population in the BR from the first cycle. If your lighting the tank, you should have plenty of algae growth by then to feed the clean up crew, if not you can always feed them. Starting with the clean up crew is cheap way to test the waters. LOL
Old 04-15-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I've had SW fish tanks before... this is just the first time with LR. Basically... my 60 with a 20 sump I'm hoping to have 2 clowns, goby, blenny, and maybe one other fish that's reef safe... maybe a flame angel or something like a butterfly. Inverts/cleanup crew is a must as well. I'm not looking for a fish-packed tank.

After the water has a chance to age 6+ months, I'll start to introduce some LPS (after I upgrade lighting to MH/PC), zoos/shrooms/leathers.

Just curious to see time frame as far as the clowns are concerned

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com