Cycling with not enough rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I do a fish less cycle with not enough rock. I don't have enough rock in my tank, I plan on moving live rock from my existing tank to this new tank There are a couple of decent size rock that I took out of my existing tank and let sit for a couple weeks. I'm trying to cycle those then move everything over from my other tank. Does this make any sense?
Supra

I think i understand what your asking. Regardless, I'd put in all the rock you want to have at the start so that it can fully cure as you cycle.

All the extra I have is in there. Will it take longer to cycle cause there's not as much surface? Or should I have just put everything at once? I was worried about the die off on the rock I had sitting.
Supra

I'm sorry, I don't understand your situation. Why don't you want to add all the rock you need to your cycling tank?

I have a tank up and running with livestock. And I'm upgrading to a bigger tank and going to use the live rock from my existing tank. Make sense?
Supra

Ahh ok, yes I understand now. How much rock is in your larger tank that is cycling? Once your new tank is cycled, you can move over the live rock and other livestock from your existing tank to the upgraded tank.

Maybe 20lbs, so that's how the thread started can I cycle a tank ( 40g + 15 sump) with such little rock?
Supra

You can sure. How much rock is in your current tank that you'll be adding to the 20 you're cycling with?

Back
Top Bottom