Cycling with or without fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shap0311

Aquarium Advice Regular
The LFS has told me to cycle my tank with a damsel. I have also read of other people doing the raw seafood cycle too. Any opinions or favorite ways to cycle a tank. Maybe a timeline of events when cycling. Thanks

The fish store wants you to cycle with damsel because they want to sell u a fish. Dont do it, it is cruel to the fish and it could die. Also damsel are very territorial and you would have a hard time adding something without it getting picked on, and they are nearly impossible to catch without taking all your rock out.

Cycling with a fish has no benefit. Raw shrimp is best method in my opinion, or just dosing household ammonia.

Without fish. Without fish. Without fish. And did I mention without fish yet?
Fish-in Cycling ought to be illegal. Has no one talked to PETA about this yet? It's the aquarium version of a ten year old torturing a cat.
Rant complete.
Fish-in and raw shrimp method will be comparable. If you want to speed up the cycle, use Bio-Spira or some other brand of bacterial supplement. I've used Nutrafin Cycle before and my cycle took less than a week.
You are simply waiting for the bacteria to reproduce until they can handle the fish load, and feeding ammonia (tortured damsel fish poop or raw shrimp). Adding the bacterial culture gives this a head start.
Oh, and one more thing....
Fish are added AFTEr a cycle is complete. Never ever ever before. Ok, NOW I'm done. LOL

Back
Top Bottom