Cycling with raw shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GATANKGUY706

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my cycle 5 days ago with 40lbs of base rock and 5lbs of cured live rock with some purple coralline algae on some of it. 40lbs of live sand and 20lbs of aragonite sand. My ammonia level is 2.0ppm and nitrite level is 0 and nitrate is 20ppm. Why do i have no nitrite spike and confused on when to add the bottle of Bio Spira. I'm using a couple of raw shrimp to cycle. I tested my parameters after my tank was clear after 3 days and there was no nitrites but ammonia and nitrates were present. Could someone let me know what I'm doing wrong. I'm new to saltwater. Thanks!!!!

Cycling

Tank had been cycling 5 days now. With 2 raw shrimp andammo 2.0ppm and nitrite 0 and nitrate 20ppm. Added bio spira. Do i leave the shrimp in.

Yes. You should wait until the ammonia and nitrite registers 0.0 ppm.
You might consider putting the shrimp in a mesh bag or panty hose. Will make retrieval much easier/cleaner.

There's a chance you might not detect nitrite. The spikes someone last for a few hours. I did a freshwater fishless cycle with transferred media and for days I could not detect nitrite. And then I decided to test a few times during the day and was able to detect the spike.
I have heard good things about bio spira. I believe Dr Tims One and Only was derived from bio spira.

Thanks a lot. My nitrites never spiked that i know of. I've been testing since Friday. Shrimp is in a panty hose and i added two more because the first two are about gone. Do you know anything about lights to grow coralline algae.

Thanks a lot. My nitrites never spiked that i know of. I've been testing since Friday. Shrimp is in a panty hose and i added two more because the first two are about gone. Do you know anything about lights to grow coralline algae.

Nah, I'm strictly freshwater but there are folks here that will step in with helpful info.

coraline will come over time most of us wished for it but now its just out of control no special lights needed for that but you will need a good light if your going to do coral

My setup is 2nd hand and it came with 2 18" white lights and a 36" violet light used for plant growth connected underneath canopy top. Will they be good enough for growing the coralline algae

Ok thanks but that's what came with the setup when i brought it. What do you recommend.

If this will be a fish only tank, I'd just put a simple white bulb on it and call it a day. Just take the violet out since it'll be the spectrum that aims for such growth.

I have the two 18" white going now. I was thinking about getting a actinic blue to replace the violet. Also a question on my cycle. The shrimp decomposed and i checked my parameters this morning and my ammo is 0.25ppm nitrites 5.0ppm nitrates 40ppm. Tank has been cycling a week as of today. What would you do next? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

As of 10/4/17 ammo 0 & nitrites 5.0ppm & nitrates 40ppm. Nitrites has been at 5.0ppm for last two days. The shrimp decomposed & i was wondering do i have to add another one for a ammonia source or let the nitrites just go down to 0. Or should do a pwc to bring it down. It's been a week since i started my cycle. I'm new to this hobby and can use all the help i can get.

So put another one in there will it bring down nitrites. Thanks on my way now to put it in.

Adding the shrimp will not bring down nitrite. Continued growth of nitrifying bacteria will convert more of it to nitrate. The shrimp will add ammonia to the system.

Adding the shrimp will not bring down nitrite. Continued growth of nitrifying bacteria will convert more of it to nitrate. The shrimp will add ammonia to the system.

I'm confused. So i leave it in the tank and if so how long? Could you explain it to me. Thanks your advice is greatly appreciated. I'm guessing you leave it in til ammo & nitrite reach 0.

You leave it in til you can't detect ammonia or nitrite anymore while ammonia is being presented to the system. Then you can remove the shrimp and do water changes until the nitrates are 0 and add livestock.

You leave it in til you can't detect ammonia or nitrite anymore while ammonia is being presented to the system. Then you can remove the shrimp and do water changes until the nitrates are 0 and add livestock.

@Sniperhank Thanks for the advice & help. I understand now your advice is truly appreciated. How much of a water change should i do? My tank is 120g. Thanks once again.

Back
Top Bottom