Cycling with Right Now/ BioZyme etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cons .... I don't know.

Pros ....
I can tell you that I just finished my cycle within 2 weeks (yes yes I know, some will say no way, BUT it is true). I did the "fishless" cycle with 40lbs of UN-cured LR. After a week my Shrimp was completely gone and my readings were all over the place. My friend came over and brought me a Yellow Tail Damsel and Some stuff called "NitroMax" (basically a jumpstart). After a week of solid Ammo and Trite reading my levels started falling and FAST!!!!
A week later I had brown Diatoms covering the rock and sand ... I took some water to my LFS to double check my test readings and sure enough my tank was ready for a Cleanup Crew!!!!!

I would definitely say they are a great product to use, make sure you use them according to the directions and definitely keep an eye on your water parameters.

Everyone has a different success story, what works for some may not work for others. In the end we all strive for the same thing ... A happy tank!

Thanks, do you need special lighting or water characteristics for inverts?

What if any are the cons of using these jump starters?
Pros...they appear to cycle your tank in a short period of time.

Cons...They give you a false sense that your tank is cycled. These products are pretty much a waste of money. Spend the money on more LR instead. They cycle a tank fairly quickly but do not prepare it for long-term inhabbiatiion. There is no substatute for time. Waiting for a natual cyle is the only way to ensure good beneficial bacteria colonization is to give it time.
Thanks, do you need special lighting or water characteristics for inverts?
Most inverts do not have special lighting requirements but almost all require high water quality. They are hard to acclimate and need very consistant parameters.

lando is right. I wouldn't rely on kick start bacteria. Nothing can replace natural bacteria like lr or a rw piece of shrimp.

Mike

Ok, thanks so much, I'm going to just hold on to the Right Now Bacteria. I've got a dead small damsel in there that's starting to decay, would that and two live damsels be enough to cycle 75 gal tank, or should I get a shrimp or 2 from the LGS?

forget the live fish. let the dead one rot away if you want. that will be plenty. just keep an eye on your amm and ite

be patient.

Back
Top Bottom