Cycling with Smart Start - with or without??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I am about to commence a new saltwater setup in my 50g aquareef tank and would like to know, after filling up with aragonite, water, adding salt and getting the temp right, is it a good idea to add Smart Start to help the bacteria process even if I will be filling up with live rock a week later, or is it not really necessary if I am prepared to wait 4 - 6 weeks for cycling a more natural way before starting to add fish? I would like to avoid any extra expenses if possible but I won't mind spending the extra $$ if it means having a healthier and more successful running tank. My ultimate intention is to have a few fish and some soft corals. Thanks!

Smart start certainly sped up my impromptu fish-in cycle but from what I've read online not everyone sees success with it. I've had no issues since my cycle so I can only assume that the bacteria has sustained itself and effectively colonised my filter as it hasn't been re-dosed for several weeks and my levels are perfect in a seriously overstocked 100litre tank (long story!)
The only issue I can think of may be that the high dose of ammonia in a fishless cycle may overwhelm the bacteria in the safestart and render it useless but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give you some more concrete guidance on that

Back
Top Bottom