Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to alinaclyn
Cycling within 2 days???

Hello.
I'm new to this message board but yesterday my boyfriend bought me a 40 gal. tank. I had a 20 gal. reef tank for about 3 years but i moved last year and decided to sell everything. Anyway, I'm no expert but yesterday we went back up to our fish store to get the rest of what we needed to set it up. We got 35 lbs of live rock, 2 of the bags of argonite sand and we ended up buying the water from them too. I'm not sure what type of water it is but the owner's son said it would be ready for fish in about 2 days. Does this sound right? The last time I set up a tank it took atleast a month to cycle. What type of water would reduce the cycle time so dramatically? Would RO water do this? Anyway, we also have a protein skimmer, which I didn't have on my old tank. Not sure if I've provided enough info. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm not sure what type of water it is but the owner's son said it would be ready for fish in about 2 days. Does this sound right?
No.

Quote:
What type of water would reduce the cycle time so dramatically? Would RO water do this?
No.

Test your water and wait it out. Throw in an uncooked shrimp or two and wait it out. Test the water for the Big 3 - ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Your tank is ready when ammonia and nitrites have returned to zero after spiking (my ammonia was over 8 for several days) and you've done water changes to reduce accumulated nitrates.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Test your water and wait it out. Throw in an uncooked shrimp or two and wait it out. Test the water for the Big 3 - ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Your tank is ready when ammonia and nitrites have returned to zero after spiking (my ammonia was over 8 for several days) and you've done water changes to reduce accumulated nitrates.
i didn't think that sounded right. i do plan to wait it out. i tested the water today, just to see and everything is at zero, except nitrates...that's normal though right? the salinity is extremely high....higher than the hydrometer even measures. i don't think i'll be buying water from them again nor will i ask their advice.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
It dosen't sound right, all new aquariums need time to cycle.
10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Find a new LFS, they are giving you bad advice. Chances are your tank has not even begun the cycle yet. With the LR and a cocktail shrimp you can expect your cycle to last 4-6 weeks.
By the way...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you, iando! i do plan on finding a new lfs. how often should i test the water? and as far as test kits...are the strips as accurate as the others? did you read what i wrote about my salinity being extremely high, immeasurably high? i've never seen that happen before. and this is the water i purchased from my lfs. not good at all thanks for all the advice everyone!!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

quote]
the salinity is extremely high....higher than the hydrometer even measures
[/quote]
If you are using a hydrometer you might be getting a false reading by air bubbles being stuck to the swing arm. Fill the hydrometer very slow and if it is still a high reading give it a good tap. At this point if it is still high then there is a problem. I would suggest getting a refractometer to test salinity as it is much more reliable.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Quote:
the salinity is extremely high....higher than the hydrometer even measures.
When i check my SG i'd say 2 out of 5 times i get a false reading that says the SG is more than the hydrometer can read. I check it a few times to make sure i get the same reading
Old 02-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
IMHO I believe the LFS probably meant ready for a few damsel fish for cycling the tank. It is still pretty common for cycling a tank with fish. You do need to check the validity of the hydrometer reading though.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Get a good book. Try the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, available at this library. Might even be able to keep the LFS, but be better able to decide for yourself - and with help if needed, what to buy and when.

Nothing like having the closest shop to you still on your list, but not allowing them to guide you towards bad decisions.

Good luck and welcome to AA! That Lando - always beating me too the smileys.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com