Cyling need if seawater is used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes! Some live rock will greatly help in speeding up the cycle also...but you will still have a cycle. Add a raw shimp or the like to get it started and don't add livestock until ammonia and nitrite are 0 (and a water change is done)
good luck :wink:

Yes...the biological filtration you need to establish occurs on the rock and substrate surfaces...not in the water itself.

I have to think that this process might occur slightly quicker starting with ocean water, but that is just speculation on my part.

Just be careful using real sea water. You may run into diseases and/or contaminates. The best mix is salt (oceanic/IO), and RO or RO/DI water to get the process started. I have also heard you will have to do more frequent water changes with real sea water as well. Food for thought

Mike

Just curious: why is the water change needed just before adding fish but after the aquarium is cycled? Jeff
I wish there were a sea near here where I could get water from!

A water change is necessary before adding fish to replace some of the nutrients and trace elements.

Not recommended during cycling since it removes some of the benificial bacteria to help the cycle along.

Beneficial bacteria are primarily on your surfaces (sand, rock, glass, etc.)

"Waste/Excess Nutrients" are in the water column itself.

Water changes get rid of the excess nutrients, and also replace trace elements as mentioned above.

I don't believe that doing water changes in the midst of your cycle will cause any significant change in the time it takes to finish. Just my 2c.

Back
Top Bottom