Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One thing you may want to try is to get some tubing and "siphon" the cyano completely out. When it comes back, do it again. When it comes back, do it again. Truly, you must find the source of your cyano problems, but this cleared up mine on top of all the rest you have done.

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I use a turkey baster to blow of cyano. I have a big cyano problem, so I'm not one to advise here, but if you have to scrub, it's clearly not the same cyano that I have. of course there are different kinds. maybe you have something else? just a thought.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Jainden
I mentioned earlier I asked 2 questions on here and I shouldnt have..one is regarding algea and the other cyno. Sorry for the confusion.
Also I have heard that stirring the cyno up doesnt do any good?? I had heard your supposed to suck it out..maybe someone can correct me.
On the algea, its tough to get off the rocks. I have to take the rocks out and scrub them.

Boardsurfer
I forgot to mention Im sucking the stuff out as well. Its only in 2-3 areas of my tank...in the front where the MOST flow is!! Go figure!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to jbro
Just my two cents...
Last year, I had my first cyano outbreak during winter. Battled it for months using all the prescribed methods except for phosban. Won the battle. Now it's winter again and I'm getting another breakout.
Someone told me this is because water quality is generally poorer in winter with less activity in sources (lakes, etc.).
This time, I think I'll try the phosban.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am running a phosban reactor right now. Have been for 2-3 weeks. How long did it take for you to really notice a difference??
Also I think I didnt help my problem by not changing my RO/DI filters soon enough as well as not replacing my lights soon enough.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I cut back my lights from 10 hours to 7. I don't recall setting them for 10... I may have bumped the timer. We'll see if that helps

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had an outbreak of this black hairlike algae type of stuff, which was later identified by one of the advisors as cyano, Did every thing advised, weekly water changes cutback on feeding and lights, phosguard, hermit crabs, ammonia reducer,,,, in the end, I went home for christmas (from college) had a buddy feed them every other day. when I came back, the water level was about 4 inches low and the skilter was dry, but the cyano was gone. I had been gone for about 2 weeks and the tank looked better than it ever had.

After words I had some thoughts on what made it go away.

1, I was doing all of the right things and eventually I won.
2, The source water had just enough po4 and nh3 in it to feed this stuff, with the buddy not topping off the water, it starved out.
3, By not removing it weekly, perhaps it overpopulated and starved itself out.

I am not sure why it went away, but IN THIS CASE what seemed to work was for me to quit messing with it.

Not really an answer to your question, but this is my story

Wade

In a perfect world, we would have gills,,,,,and opposable toes.-- Me
stainless_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Nothing like a story with a happy ending.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to the_sass72 Send a message via MSN to the_sass72
Fishman, I'm dealing with this in my FOWLR tank, and was wondering how exactly you took out the rock and scrubbed it? I don't have anything live on mine (apparently I bought live "dead rock" from my LFS, which is common from that place I just recently learned ... How did you clean it?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Iusually syphon water from my main into a small 'tub'. I drain out enough water that it will cover the rock. I then take the rocks out of the tank and scrub them. The water gets pretty gross quickly so I dump the water and do it all over again. You have to scrub real hard to get some of the algea like I have off of the rock. Thats about all I do.

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com