Cyno/ALgea Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All

As you can see I initially started this topic in Jan. Its now May. Good news is the cyno is GONE! Bad news is I STILL am batteling algea. Not as bad but still bad. Whats weird is there are only 5-10 peices of LR that it keeps growing on. I will take the rocks out, scrub them and free them of the algea. Within 2-3 weeks, its back. Also since Jan I have added another DI filter to my RODI unit. Also added a urchin and he is going to town. However not fast enough.
Can anyone help me understand why this stuff keeps coming back? I have 0 nitrates and last time I tested no PO4. I only feed a small amt every other day to 3rd day. I do put a nori clip in for my tang each day. Lights are only 2 months old. Skimmer is skimming. Have a 30 gallon fuge....Any help is appreciated.

What is in the fuge? There has to be a PO4 source. Have you checked your fresh SW? What type food do you feed?

Your tests can read zero PO4, while it still may be getting into the tank. The reason why the PO4 may not show up in your testing is because the algae is absorbing it all. Everything else seems in check, so I bet the PO4 is the root of all of your algae problems. 9 times out of 10 that's the TRUE reason for it being there. Bad lighting and all the other things just fuel the fire.

What specifically are you using for food (include name brand).

I have about 15-20 lbs of rubble rock and macro in my fuge. I also have a sand base in the fuge too below the macro...very thin layer.
My fresh SW comes from my RO unit. I also use the RO unit for top off water too. I use instant ocean salt and have for 3 years now.
I feed nothing but frozen cubes. Its Sallys San Fran brand. I thaw the cubes out and then rinse them 5-6 times in RO water. Like I said I feed very little as I only have 3 fish - 1 med size blue tang, false perc and a damsel. I have corals such as mushrooms, xenia, polyps. Also have inverts. Tank runs well and is very stable and has been for 3 years.
Also I failed to mention I do weekly water changes of about 25-35 gallons. And I run a PO4 reactor.

ANyone else want to take a shot at solving my almost 6 month ordeal? I have called LFS and told them what all Im doing and have done and they have no answer. I get the same response of "seems your doing all you can and everything right". ANy suggestions? Im getting really frustrated at this point. Im having to scrub the same rocks over and over every 2-3 weeks.
THANKS!

Have you tested the water from your ro unit? Sounds like you are doing everything to prevent it. You just have to find the source.

I have tested tthe tap water, RO water and tank water. I actually have more of a PO4 level in my tank than I do in my tap water...go figure. :)
What test is good for PO4? I have one but it always comes up 0 and then when the LFS tests it, theres a trace. I cant figure this out.
What fish will eat algea? I have a blue regal and he wont touch it. I have turbo snails, nassariu(sp), emeralds, sally lightfoot, blue legs and red legs..

What kind of algae is it? Can you show us a pic? Turbo snails usually eat it up if it's hair algae. What size tank do you have and how many Turbos are in there? Yellow tang eats hair algae, but this will only temporarily help and won't help with the real problem.

Also please post all of your latest numbers (test readings). If I were to guess I'd say source water or food is the reason for the PO4.

Definitely get a new PO4 test kit. I would go with Salifert from MarineDepot. Remember after your tests, though- the PO4 might seem low, but it could be because the algae is using it up.

Is your tank near a window? What is your water temp?

What kind of LR do you have? Lace rock will leech out Phospates.

What kind of skimmer? Maybe it's not doing its job...

I would say give it more time. For some, the battle is never over. How long have you had the RO/DI unit? I had algae for a while after my RO/DI purchase because I used tapwater in the past. Let us know your testing results and temp.

HTH

Ok I will answer what I can tonight and then have the water tested tomorrow. Cant figure out how to attach pics like I have in the past. I have submitted some to my gallery. Says pending approval. Hope this helps. The one with the anenome is older...probably 9-12 months ago at least. This is where it started. Its a lot thicker and greener now. Maybe its not hair algea. Its very soft and VERY hard to get ahold of. I have to scrub it off with tank water and a toothbrush. Feels like velvet. I had about 6-8 turbos. I think I have about 3-4 now. I have watched them go right over it and not even touch it.

Its a 100 gallon with a 40 gallon sump/fuge (only about 30 gallons of water in it). So a total of 125-130 gallons. I have 6 PH's for circulation and of course the return pump producing movement as well. I have 4 VHO 110 lights. Also running a phosban reactor.

----test results to be done tomorrow.

My tank is not near a window. It is about 25-35 ft from the nearest one but I have had my previous tank in the same place with no problem for 2 years. Plus the shades are always drawn. Stays dark in the living room until I turn the lights on. My water temp was around 77-78 but since the hotter days are rolling around its about 80-82. I have 3 small box fans blowing over the sump. I can cool it down to 78 at night but then if it goes to 82 in the day, this is quite a swing. So I keep it as close to 80 as I can. I have run my previous tank as warn as 84 and never had an algea problem. HOWEVER I did have a UV running on that tank - I dont on this one.

I have fiji rock and base rock that has been in the tank for a couple of years. However I do have 1 peice of (base rock then) that was lava rock...you know the maroon stuff. However you cant tell its base rock at all now obviously as its all purple. What is lace rock?

Skimmer - I have a Aqua C Remora Urchin Pro. I used the same one on my previous 125 show tank with a 15 gallon sump - no fuge.

I bought the RO DI unit used. I have had it for 2-3 years. I changed all the filters about every 3 months. I run 2 DI units. I use Instant Ocean salt.
I have noticed a decrease in the algea on the back side of my tank since I have added the 2nd DI filter. However the rocks on the front of my tank is growing each and every day.

Ok guys so I went and had my water tested today. It was as follows:
PH 8.0
AK 3
CA 425
PO4 - less than a trace
Temp 80-81
Trates 0
trites 0
Ammonia 0

The LFS guy I have dealt with many times and has always given good advice. He has tried to find out what is wrong with my tank as well and he said as a last resort, he would add a chemical. Normally he likes to try and fix things through non invasive methods if you will.
So he sold me a bottle of TLC Aquarium and Pond Product SAT Biological Clarifier. In reading about it, its all natural bacteria. Its reef safe and doesnt effect the skimming process.
I also called another LFS as I have used TLC products before. This LFS store says he has people use it on a routine basis just because. Both places swear by it but only use it as they have to. Any thoughts?
Im at the end of what to do as theres no way I can have PO4 coming out of the RO as my filters are new and Im running 2 DI's.
Thanks

Have you tested you new water for PO4? I know you say your filters are new but I would check. Its comes from feeding also.
Cyno, low flow in tank and old bulbs when changing spectrum can also help bring it on if there is ANY PO4 in the tank. Trace is enough PO4 for have cyno, the trace is what the cyno is not consuming so there is more the trace in the water.
Are you sure its cyno..

I got it bad in my fowlr right now, I had none for years then I got new/used PC lighting and WHAM Cyno over everything. The bulbs in the light must be older then the person told me is my guess. So I am doing water changes and I'm looking at getting 4 new bubls. My tank also tests 0 for PO4 so even though it says 0 I know theres enough to feed the cyno.

Seaham
I stated previously that I was having issues with cyno and now its just algea. This original posting was from several months ago. So all I am dealing with now is algea.
Again all Im dealing with right now is green algea. Its on about 8-9 pieces of LR in my tank. I take the rocks out, scrub them, and within 3 weeks its right back.

I feel your pain........

I'm in the exact same situation, only except I have cyano and not the other algae. It grows on the same two or three rocks, despite all my efforts. Every 2 to 3 weeks I scrub it off with a toothbrush. I'm baffled.....

Yeah so far I have been posting this issue for about 9-10 months now and no one - not even the LFS can solve my problem! Im sitting here looking at more algea on the same rock that I scraped it off of last night. I have done EVERYTHING that has been suggested and still no answer as to why I have algea.

fishman, you seem to be doing everything right. I should hope that someone else can chime in and help with your seemingly endless algae problem.

Any takers?

Yeah I have gotten a lot of answers to questions in the past here but this one seems to be the one that I cant get solved. Im going to keep testing my water and removing the algea as it grows. Also I posted in another post that I found a new live bacteria that supossidly will clear the algea up. Going to start this today after a 30 gallon water change.
If anyone else has any ideas please chime in.
Thanks

Have you tested for PO4 and Nitrate? post numbers.. The algae needs a food source.
Never heard of that bacteria stuff.. Hope it works out..
I know guys who have major HA issues and after a long battle the used AZNO3 and it is now gone. Chemicals is a last resort..

Where do you get the AZNO3?
No trate - never have had any since the tank began - and also less than a trace of P04. I did at one time (6 months or so ago) have P04 of like 3-4...a LOT! Now I have a phosban reactor and also added a second DI filter to my RO DI unit

fishman said:
I have about 15-20 lbs of rubble rock and macro in my fuge. I also have a sand base in the fuge too below the macro...very thin layer.
My fresh SW comes from my RO unit. I also use the RO unit for top off water too. I use instant ocean salt and have for 3 years now.
I feed nothing but frozen cubes. Its Sallys San Fran brand. I thaw the cubes out and then rinse them 5-6 times in RO water. Like I said I feed very little as I only have 3 fish - 1 med size blue tang, false perc and a damsel. I have corals such as mushrooms, xenia, polyps. Also have inverts. Tank runs well and is very stable and has been for 3 years.
Also I failed to mention I do weekly water changes of about 25-35 gallons. And I run a PO4 reactor.

Have you looked at your feedings?-->Do you feed a whole cube everytime you feed? If so I'd cut way back with only 3 fish. Preferrably you should feed twice a day, and at each feeding you should only feed each fish an amount equivilant to the size of it's eye. Which is really miniscule. One cube should last 4-6 feedings.

Not sure that it might matter in a tank your size, but it can add up over time. GL......

Back
Top Bottom