Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
No one ever posted..so I will bump this one more time.
Thanks

Old 05-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested you new water for PO4? I know you say your filters are new but I would check. Its comes from feeding also.
Cyno, low flow in tank and old bulbs when changing spectrum can also help bring it on if there is ANY PO4 in the tank. Trace is enough PO4 for have cyno, the trace is what the cyno is not consuming so there is more the trace in the water.
Are you sure its cyno..

I got it bad in my fowlr right now, I had none for years then I got new/used PC lighting and WHAM Cyno over everything. The bulbs in the light must be older then the person told me is my guess. So I am doing water changes and I'm looking at getting 4 new bubls. My tank also tests 0 for PO4 so even though it says 0 I know theres enough to feed the cyno.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seaham
I stated previously that I was having issues with cyno and now its just algea. This original posting was from several months ago. So all I am dealing with now is algea.
Again all Im dealing with right now is green algea. Its on about 8-9 pieces of LR in my tank. I take the rocks out, scrub them, and within 3 weeks its right back.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feel your pain........

I'm in the exact same situation, only except I have cyano and not the other algae. It grows on the same two or three rocks, despite all my efforts. Every 2 to 3 weeks I scrub it off with a toothbrush. I'm baffled.....
Old 05-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah so far I have been posting this issue for about 9-10 months now and no one - not even the LFS can solve my problem! Im sitting here looking at more algea on the same rock that I scraped it off of last night. I have done EVERYTHING that has been suggested and still no answer as to why I have algea.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

fishman, you seem to be doing everything right. I should hope that someone else can chime in and help with your seemingly endless algae problem.

Any takers?
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I have gotten a lot of answers to questions in the past here but this one seems to be the one that I cant get solved. Im going to keep testing my water and removing the algea as it grows. Also I posted in another post that I found a new live bacteria that supossidly will clear the algea up. Going to start this today after a 30 gallon water change.
If anyone else has any ideas please chime in.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested for PO4 and Nitrate? post numbers.. The algae needs a food source.
Never heard of that bacteria stuff.. Hope it works out..
I know guys who have major HA issues and after a long battle the used AZNO3 and it is now gone. Chemicals is a last resort..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where do you get the AZNO3?
No trate - never have had any since the tank began - and also less than a trace of P04. I did at one time (6 months or so ago) have P04 of like 3-4...a LOT! Now I have a phosban reactor and also added a second DI filter to my RO DI unit
Old 05-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman
I have about 15-20 lbs of rubble rock and macro in my fuge. I also have a sand base in the fuge too below the macro...very thin layer.
My fresh SW comes from my RO unit. I also use the RO unit for top off water too. I use instant ocean salt and have for 3 years now.
I feed nothing but frozen cubes. Its Sallys San Fran brand. I thaw the cubes out and then rinse them 5-6 times in RO water. Like I said I feed very little as I only have 3 fish - 1 med size blue tang, false perc and a damsel. I have corals such as mushrooms, xenia, polyps. Also have inverts. Tank runs well and is very stable and has been for 3 years.
Also I failed to mention I do weekly water changes of about 25-35 gallons. And I run a PO4 reactor.
Have you looked at your feedings?-->Do you feed a whole cube everytime you feed? If so I'd cut way back with only 3 fish. Preferrably you should feed twice a day, and at each feeding you should only feed each fish an amount equivilant to the size of it's eye. Which is really miniscule. One cube should last 4-6 feedings.

Not sure that it might matter in a tank your size, but it can add up over time. GL......

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com