Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, that is waaaaay too many fish for that tank. That huge bioload was probably the cause of the ammonia.....lots of fish waste in a newer tank, the bacteria was probably not able to keep up with the waste. Not to mention, the compatabilities of some of those fish would have meade for a quck reduction of the others...the lion and angle could have made snacks out of most of the other fish, depending on their sizes.
Ok, let it cycle, get a list of fish you would like and post them.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Thanx but no.....

On the lighting question, 60 watts over 75G isn't gonna cut it for corals or some inverts. I'm not a coral guy, just some hitchhikers that seemed to like the joint and stayed around. Others will pop in but expect to be in the 3-5 WPG range w/ T5's or MH for some corals and things like anenomes , if that's where you're going.

Based on how much you lost $$$ on those fish (ouch).. the lighting gonna set you back too. Unless you stay FOWLR, then lower level lighting is fine,

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Way too many fish... Frankly you were probably going to lose alot of them over time regardless of the tank being cycled or not.
Holy smoke... that's a lot of fish! Agree 100% with the Captain and think you're darn lucky that the tank hasn't crashed totally by now.

Agree with most the advice here already... take a deep breath, slow down, find those fish a good home, research/learn, and reboot! (Wow... a mountain bike was all it took? Hmm. It'd have to be a pretty nice bike to pry my tank away from me! )
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
Niko-...ifya have alittle extra time for Thread-scanning look up "New Member Introductions Re: Harry Gross or "find all threads started"-(by harry gross)...."ME" and you can getta glimpse of what "I" had to deal with @ the beginning of my A/A journey.(to try to outline it all for you here in this thread you've started would be impossible)...but inna nutshell I started w/a 100gal dead..algie infested nightmare...and no money so "had-to" make do w/ quite a few "all-I-can-do-....cuz-its-all-I-have-to-work-with" situations.But Thankx to the good folks of A/A its back up and running quite nicely and we've been restocking etc.
In closing though I WILL say....Whoa(!!!?) Dude(!!) Waaaaay too many fishies for such a small environment.'Probably a major contributer to the ammonia levels you were getting.(stay close to A/A...you'll GETER-DOOONE!!)heh...heh
Harry Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
almost cycled?

Hi again and here's an update:

I am now down to the following fish:

3 yellow tail damsels
1 blue damsel
3 nemos

My latest readings as of April 21, 4:45pm:

PH - 7.7
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - <0.3 mg/l
Nitrate - 100 mg/l

I have been dumping a product called cycle which is supposed to help jump start new tanks and maintain old ones as well. Question now is my live rocks are forming a generous layer of brown looking stuff. Algae? Some other rocks have a hairy green substance...moss? I have since added 2 banded shrimps, 4 camel shrimps, and a goby as cleanup crew. Any ideas on the brown and green stuff? Also, am I almost done with the cycle? Tank was only setup April 6, 2009.

Oh yeah, I also added 2 new canister type filters so the tank's contents are now being cycled 7x/hr. Media is the same crushed corals I had in the tank plus some activated carbon. The other filters had bio balls and ceramics which I never touched since the tank was active. Your thoughts please? Many thanks!
Nikonographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Thanx but no.....

Most probably cynao or algae due to your high nitrate levels. If it was me, I'd let it go until the cycle was finished then do some massive water changes to get the levels down. Pull out and scrub the rock (that don't have corals) in some of the old tank water from the PWC to get rid of what you can. The PH is a bit low. The crushed coral and bio balls are going to cause you nitrate problems down the road. Might want to think about sand and live rock rubble instead. Where are the bioballs? In the canister?

Also not sure you will get enough flow out of the canisters. Might want to consider a couple of powerheads to get the flow up.

Some of this might be covered in previous responses. I scanned it but probably missed some of it

BTW: I'd save your money on the 'cycle' product. Doubt your getting much (if any) of a bump from it
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks CaptainAhab. Just want to clarify the live rock rubble vs. crushed corals. I suppose that by now my crushed corals could also be considered "live" crushed corals right? So how would that be different from the live rock rubble? Sorry this thing has me perplexed. Appreciate the inputs though. Thanks again.
Nikonographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
It's the difference between "slightly large sand (CC) & boulders", The boulders are the rubble. The large sand is the CC and it's to small to be a boulder and to large to be sand. All the CC can do is trap debris that are to large to be broken down effiecently, thus causing the raise in nitrate levels. The rubble is large enough to house millions of good bacteria to aid in filtering the waste down.

thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com